Return to the Get-Togethers Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hosting Plant swap-need help!~

Posted by suzysparklesalot Z5 Upper Michig (My Page) on
Tue, May 22, 07 at 10:04

Hi everyone,
My friend and I are holding a garden swap tomorrow afternoon. We have passed out flyers, told everyone we know and spread the word far and wide. We did not do any formal advertising because it is the first year and we wanted to do one a smaller one to start with. It sounds like a lot of people are coming, lol.
I'm hoping you guys can help us out with some information. If you have ever gone to one of these how did it work. We figure their are two ways to o the swap, either each person has a booth and you just trade with each other. Or put all the stuff in a pile in the driveway. If you brought 5 plants you get to take 5 plants. Are there other ways to do it?
Can you make recommendations?
Also we are having the people bring garden tools, flower pots, books, magazines etc. Should those go into the main swap or be a separate swap.
We also are thinking of having a newbie area for all the new gardeners with no swaps. This is where we would put some of the more common stuff like daylillies and iris etc. Than we would say each person can have a certain number of plants.
Are these good ideas? I have never been to one of these so I'm just not sure how to work it.
I'd love to hear from people who went to swaps and what they love or hated about the way it was run.
Thanks,
Sue

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hosting Plant swap-need help!~

Check out how we do it at the Central Ohio Plant swap and Potluck. We're listed a little further down the forum. The first post outlines how we do it. Going in rounds keeps it civilized and not devolving into a free for all. We get more than 100 people every year but it would work well for you too. Good luck!

~~Mimi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Get-Togethers Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here