Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webkat5

Kansas City area swap....the official thread!!

webkat5
17 years ago

OK...we are narrowing things down a bit and have a weekend set. It will be the 3rd weekend in June (17th-18th).

This is Daylily bloomin' time!!

I am in a rural area with plenty of room to spread out so space is not an issue.

I will be sending everyone a map to my house and address (although, Mapquest and Yahoo maps are not quite accurate, though...). It is pretty easy to find.

Please post suggestions here and e-mail me if you have any questions.

Jay_in_missouri will also be assisting with the organizational aspects, too....Thanks Jay!

Members, please check in here to confirm your attendance.

Thanks!!

WebKat5

Comments (35)

• GreenThumbinKC
    17 years ago

WebKat,

I found out I am traveling the week after the plant swap, but don't know if I have to leave Sunday or Monday. If I don't leave until Monday, count me in. I should know by the end of May.

Brad

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Hi everyone....I'm Jay, and my wife and I live about 35 miles NW of St. Joe...We look forward to meeting all of you who can attend the plant swap. For those of you who have never been to one, it's a great way to add plants to your gardens. I have been to several, and have found the best way to pre-prepare is to post on a forum such as this all your 'haves' and 'wants'....having said that, my main passion is daylilies, and I will be bringing a bunch of named ones. You can email me to let me know what you're interested in. I also have Rose of Sharon's about a foot tall, named hybrid TB iris, (I have pictures of all I'll be bringing) I will have some misc. perennials that I will list later. I'm looking for named Hosta's, grasses, the taller the better, Brunerra's and other shade plants.
    Don't be bashful....jump in and let everyone know what you're bringing and looking for........Jay

• hortist
    17 years ago

HI all

count me in

I'm in south KC.

Keith

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok...we need a vote, please.

Will Saturday be better than Sunday afternoon or.....
    ....should it be both days?

A show of hands?....

• kayjones
    17 years ago

Kat, count me in - THANKS for your efforts!

Sunday is not good for me - I have my grandchildren that day. What about food? I bake WONDERFUL banana bread. Your only responsibility should be as the host.

You would also need to provide the drinks and meat because of the freshness/coldness issue, but you would take donations from attendees for that. The rest of the food would be provided by those who attend.

It should be a wonderful time for everyone! A big THANKS goes to Jay and his wife for assisting you - it's not a small job to host a plant sale!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

So....Saturday it is :o)

The majority are wanting Saturday the 17th, so there, the date is set.

Have to run to work...more later!

WebKat5

• sherrymo
    17 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    My husband, Mike, and I are planning on coming too! It shall be fun. Hummm, I do not have any idea on what I will bring. Will look at what is asked for than see if I have any!
    All the wsed plants, except the basils, are planted out for this year. The basils are still so small.
    Looking forward to meeting everyone.
    sherry

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Something else!!

If anyone is interested in acquiring some yummy fertilizer, I have lots of ripe old horse muffins you can take home with you.

If you would like some, please bring a contractor style trash bag (if you have them...I might have a couple) and a cardboard box. I will fill it up!

Consider it a door prize for all!

WebKat5

• Jen26
    17 years ago

Webkat5! Now you're talkin'! I've been looking everywhere for good aged manure. Kinda hard to find here in the city. I'm not sure what I'll bring, maybe some daylily "Strutter's Ball", possibly a small lespedeza "Gibraltar", some hosta perhaps... I'll just have to see what's ready for dividing.

• sherrymo
    17 years ago

I have some nursery pots I will not be needing. Would anyone like them?
    How about snacks?
    Shall I bring some nice tasty snack of some sort?
    sherry

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Everyone should bring some type of food to chow on...:o)

When it gets closer to the time, we can list what we are bringing so we don't have any duplicates.

More later!!

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Sherry....I can use some of your nursery pots. Anything you're looking for? Anyone interested in echeverias? I have a few babies I have 'weaned'.....Look forward to meeting all of you. Jay

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Mom wants to drive up and see her sister. We're in Galveston, TX. I'm off that weekend. If we drove up on Thursday I could visit my Aunt on Friday, trade plants on Saturday and drive home on Sunday. I can bring ya'll some tropicals and tamales. Let me call mom. Put me on your mailing list.
    Any special requests from the south?
    Tally HO!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Who knows what I will have...tons of stuff probably...anything that can be divided is most likely up for grabs. He-he!

Off the top of my head, I have extra Knautia macedonica, Joe Pye Weed, possibly an Aruncus dioicus, a Salvia or two, Bearded Irises, Siberian Irises, Hibiscus (quite a few types)....lots more....

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

beachplant...we would love to have you! The more the merrier!

I would say bring anything that you would like to trade...I am sure someone will be happy!!

I am into hardy perennials (Zone 5-6).

For those checking this thread....I will be e-mailing driving details next week. It is pretty easy to find.

I have invited a few others (non-GardenWebbers) to join in...this should be a great swap!

One extra thing you might want to bring is a lawn chair....I do not have many chairs, but do have hay bales if you forget, don't have room or don't mind sitting on them...

• bubbalouise3
    17 years ago

This is such a great idea! I live in Lawrence, KS and would love to come. I haven't been reading Winter Sowing much this year--too busy--but I'm really glad I saw this today! Jan

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

That's great, Jan! Please drop me an e-mail so I can send info when I get it ready to go out to everyone.

Here is the list I have so far of those wishing to attend:

Myself (plus about 4 other local gardeners I have invited)
    Jay_in_missouri
    Greenthumbinkc
    Hortist
    Kayjones
    Jen26
    Sherrymo
    Youthman?? (hasn't checked in here, though)
    Beachplant
    Bubbalouise3

So far, so good!

If I don't have your e-mail address (I think I have most of them), please drop me a line so that I do.

Thanks!

• artemis_pa
    17 years ago

Webkat5
    I am in the KC area and am a new gardener. I am in my second year of growing roses and flowering shrubs. I also have a shade garden and a few full sun perennials. I won't have much to bring to swap, but would like to join the fun.

Diane

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

My neighbor across the road wanted to know if anyone has a pond and would be interested in some water lilies....

Let me know and she will get some ready....

Also, one of my gardening friends will have a couple of Century Plants (Agave Americana)....one is nice sized already...one is a baby.

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Webkat.....I could use a couple of water lilies. What is she looking for? I am going to have some named hosta's..Choo Choo, Gold Edge, and Antioch to name a few. Also, named daylilies and iris. Scrambled egg plant and probably a few grasses. Jay

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am checking with my neighbor, Jay...she may not want anything for them...she has a small pond and too many at the moment.

I have sent e-mails to everyone....if you haven't already, can you please respond?

Oh, and it is an Aruncus sinensis (not dioicus that I listed in my previous post) that I have (small, winter sown this year).

Thanks!

• homesickfordixie
    17 years ago

Hi, just saw your postings and would be interested in attending. I live in KC area. What town will this be in?
    Thanks.
    Linda

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sounds great, Linda!

I have sent you an e-mail (if you check this before your e-mail)....

I will be e-mailing everyone who I haven't heard from again....please send me confirmation so I can send you the map.

Just a few days away now!

• Jen26
    17 years ago

OK, guys, I'm starting to dig and divide. So far I've got daylily "Strutter's Ball" (purple with yellow throat), hosta, clematis "Ville de Lyon", and a baby rooted Sedum Autumn Joy. See y'all on Saturday!

• hortist
    17 years ago

My wife and I are going to try to bring some Stachys lanata (Lamb's Ear) and maybe some "firecracker" Achillea if I can find sprouts that are digable and not flowering.

I should have some hosta if the deer or whistle-pigs didn't have them for breakfast. I do not know the variety.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok, I think that everyone who has confirmed with me has received their map now...

Hortist, I just e-mailed yours and another message, too.

I am getting excited about meeting everyone!
    This will be a fun time!

If for some reason, you were unable to open the attachments (map/directions) please let me know...I did send them in .pdf format because I thought that would be the most universal format.

If you get a chance, you might list what food you are bringing here so we have an assortment, but I am sure it will be fine.

I have plenty of tables, but don't forget to bring a chair...

E-mail me if you have any other questions and I will check it tomorrow afternoon...

See you all Saturday!!

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Good morning!

Well, as usual, rain goes away when I have something planned.

Sounds like it will be a nice day for the swap!!

I will have my phone with me if you need to call...

See everyone in a few hours!

WebKat5

• Jen26
    17 years ago

Great swap, great fun! Thanks again, Webkat, you sure know how to have a nice party. FYI, it didn't rain here in the city and I was able to get almost everything in the ground when I got home. It was so nice to meet everybody. Keep in touch.

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I thought it went rather well, even though we had to get extra "chummy" for a few minutes while the "monsoon" passed through. LOL! What teamwork!

Keith, I hope your son enjoyed the horses...I think Sam was happy to meet him!

I thoroughly enjoyed meeting and chatting with all of you...great food, too! Hopefully we can do this again sometime and everyone can attend!

• Jay_In_Missouri
    17 years ago

Thanks Kathy.....you're a "swell" hostess~ We enjoyed meeting everyone and look forward to doing it again...Jay and Alice

• hortist
    17 years ago

webkat and all

thanks

caleb had a great time!

keith

• hortist
    17 years ago

so where is the group picture?

• webkat5
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Ok here it is!

Now, keep in mind two things...we got rained on and I opted not to post the one in which I have an extra set of "ears"...

Ha-ha!

(Alice is not pictured because, well, somebody had to take the pics)

:o)

• beachplant
    17 years ago

Let me know AS soon as you pick next years date. I'm going to drive mom up to see her sister. I need about 2 months notice to get off work. I'll bring ya'll some tropicals and tamales! Thanks! Tally HO! (Galveston, TX)

• nnsgarden
    17 years ago

Hi all, I'm a newbie around here (and relatively so to gardening in general as well!) I'd love to get in on a swap if you all are getting together again this spring or summer!

Sponsored
Castle Wood Carpentry, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County