Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

Central Ohio Fall 2012 Plant Swap is on! September 15th

alison
11 years ago

Terri D. and I are once again planing the fall plant swap -- and I'm already eyeing what I'm going to bring.

Just like the spring swap in Hilliard, we'll have some time to meet and chat, a potluck lunch, and plenty of plants to share. I don't know if we can replicate the amazing free pile donated by Mouse's mom last fall, but I know we'll have plenty of plants!

Here's the particulars:

Location: 3755 Atwood Terrace, Columbus (directions to follow)

Date: September 15th

Time: 10:30 - ? (when all the plants are gone and there's nothing left to eat!)

Bring your plants, a dish to share at the potluck, a lawn chair if you've got one and -- an appetite for some fun!

We'll start to set up around 10:30, so early birds can come on down.

Swapping will start around 12:30 (earlier if we get restless!) As with the spring swap,it's a round robin style swap. When we call round 1, everyone can take a plant. Round 2, everyone take a plant. Round 3, take 2 plants... etc, and you can take home up to as many plants as you brought. If you bring 50, you can take home 50. If you bring 5, you can take 5.

Looking forward to another great chapter in the garden swap, and hope to see a lot of folks there! (Otherwise, I have to eat an awful lot of cookies all by myself....)

Getting to Terri's from I-71

Heading north:

Take I-71 to the North Broadway exit.

Turn right (east) at the head of the exit ramp onto North Broadway travel 2 blocks.

Turn left (north) onto Maize Rd, travel about 10 blocks.

Turn right (east) onto Elmore, travel 4 blocks to the intersection with Atwood Terrace.

Heading south:

Take I-71 south to the Morse Rd exit

Turn left (east) at the end of the exit ramp, travel 5(?) long blocks to Maize Rd

Turn right (south) on Maize Rd, travel 5 (?) long blocks, cross Cooke Rd and keep going 2 blocks to Elmore.

Turn left (east)onto Elmore, travel 4 blocks to the intersection with Atwood Terrace.

When you reach the roundabout, at the intersection with Atwood Terrace, Terri's will be the green and white house on the corner to your left (the north-west corner, for those with a compass) but the driveway where we'll be checking in is actually on Elmore.

Hope to see you there!

Image link:

Comments (7)

• storygardener
    11 years ago

Thanks for planning the Fall swap.

Sounds like a GREAT gathering! I will try to attend this year, if possible.

Good gardening...Beverly

• alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That will be great, Bev!
    I've already started eyeing some things around my little garden. Last week I had to move my 'Blue Arrow' hosta, since it seems to be scorching where I have it. I replanted two divsions, but potted another in the shade to bring to the swap.

And I will have access to tons more Royal Standard hosta from a friend who (amazingly) is trying to clear his yard of it -- so there will be lots more of that.

Here's to a great summer -- and a bumper crop of perennials in the fall!

• storygardener
    11 years ago

Hi Alison!

My gardens are so thirsty! Yikes! Hope we get lots of rain soon.

Have you posted this info on the Facebook Cental Ohio Plant Swap Site?

I have a storytelling friend that lives on that street. I've been there before.

Good gardening....Beverly

• jeanne
    11 years ago

Mom and I will be there! I have some pink turtlehead potted up, hopefully it will be blooming when the swap gets here. I wonder if it will cool off by then? :)

Jeanne

• alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Blessedly cool last night -- it's really been a hot summer, hasn't it? I think I may have to break down and get air conditioning next year. Of course, that's what I said last year. And the year before that...

I got a late start on my veggies at home, and am just now starting to get tomatoes and peppers. But we've been getting tomatoes, eggplants and cucumbers for several weeks from the garden at work. And the peach tree was so heavily laden it actually broke a few branches!

The late summer glut of fruit in the markets means I'm ramping up canning. Mostly jams and preserves, but I'm trying a few pickles this year. I'll probably have a couple of jars to share at the swap.

Look forward to seeing you all in September!

• alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, it looks like this long strange summer may finally be wrapping up -- has your garden survived?

I'm taking stock of what I've got for the swap -- pickings are a bit thinner than I thought they'd be, bt there's still plenty to share. Here's an off-the-top-of-my-head list of what I'm bringing:

2 potted Mexican limes
    half a dozen jumbo hosta, plain green leaves and lavender flowers
    1-2 Frances Williams hosta
    several clumps of yellow iris
    several clumps of pale lavender iris
    several clumps of Jupiter's beard
    sedum, Autumn Joy and a varigated that is kinda plain in the shade
    half a dozen small buddelia plants
    several "crown of snow" obedient plants

I'm also bringing some jams and jellies from this summers harvest, and I'm thinking up some good door prizes.

Looking forward to seeing you all, and commisserating about the weather!

• alison
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks to everyone who made it to the swap Saturday -- it was a great time! We had perfect weather, and wonderful food. Thanks to Denise and Jennifer and Linda, Kim and kin and the Terris and everyone else!

We had some wonderful plants -- I picked up some great starts of spirea and lilac, enough lambs ears to cover a troublesome slope at work, and several 'new-to-me' plants. Thanks to Jennifer for the "Twist of Lime" hosta -- I know just where I'm going to tuck that into the garden! Whoever brought the beatifully patterned prayer plant -- it's already potted up and in the (indirect) light of the upstairs the bathroom. And the bag of perennial wildflower seeds are ready for a late night trip past some abandoned lots -- prettifying my neighborhood one handful at a time.....

Best of all, it was a lovely afternoon sitting around the firepit (thanks, David!) chatting with fellow gardeners about plants, food, dates -- and everything else.

Looking forward to the srping swap -- andthe next fall swap as well!