Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
memyselfandi_gw

Plant swap, Hilliard (Columbus) OH, Sept. 18

MeMyselfAndI
19 years ago

A shelter is available for Sept. 18 at the park in Hilliard (the same park, but a different shelter building as the May 15 swap.) We would be happy to reserve it if people are interested in attending a swap on this day. Anyone who wants to is welcome to attend and bring a friend or two (or several.) There is a playground nearby and kids are welcome, too.

We will try to emulate Bev and Mimi's fantastic example from the last 2 swaps... 'social hour', potluck meal, round-robin swap. The time-frame would be the same, also... 9-noon = people arrive and chat. Noon = time to eat. 1 PM = time to swap. 3 PM = time to leave.

Who's interested?

- Tiffany & Kathy

Comments (100)

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Mimi, you're taking me back to the days my children were young - looking forward to the nap time in order to get things done (or nap myself). he he.

Beverly, sea holly? You bet! I have a ton planted out in the beds and potted up some for the swap AND have several more containers germinating. Sea holly for everyone!!!!!!

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Hey folks!

I have told several folks who posted requests for plants on Free Cycle about the swap. One has checked out this thread and hopes to come. She'll RSVP whem she becomes certain.

Sam, the baby seems to have a three pot limit. I can pot up three items and then he starts screaming! Poor Beverly may be deaf before the swap.

Happy Gardening!

Mimi

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

Well, I haven't gotten anything dug up yet, but I realize I have several nice daylilies that need dividing. Someone contacted me and asked if I was bringing the daylily, Strawberry Candy. Since then, I realized I have some to spare, so I will bring a little of it for sure. I think I'll bring a meat platter if that's ok.

I told a friend about this swap and she is going to come and bring daylilies too. Also, she is going to make home-made bread as her food donation.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Mimi...you made me laugh. That Sam boy - he just wants his sweet Mamma (or one of his 4 brothers) to hold him and give him some cuddles. He doesn't hollar that much!! I've got to get busy and do some potting too. Probably next week.

Hey Trish...so glad you and your friend are coming to the swap.

later...BEverly

• sunburygirl
    19 years ago

I'm bringing a big rose (Madame Isaac Pereire), purple coneflower, hosta, black eyed susan, thyme, Blue Hill and May Night salvia, yellow daylilies with red eyes, Pearl achillea and...? whatever else I can dig up. Plants on my want list are Becky daisies, oriental lilies and daylilies (new bed). Would you like a giant Aloe plant or a garden seat with storage for one of the door prizes? Let me know.

Karen's bringing heap good food and has caught the perennial bug after years of annuals. Should be fun! Can't wait!

• alison
    19 years ago

I'm getting excited! I have a couple of biggish things I know I'll be bringing; a small leaf lilac, a NOID-but-pretty dwarf daylily, purple palace heuchera, maybe some more hosta and lilies of the valley.

I struck a bunch of scented geranium cuttings yesterday; rose, lemon Rober, apple, chocolate, and Pheasant's Foot, and I'll be bringing a couple of bigger ones. And I'm starting to pot up some different kinds of mint, so they'll be nice and juicy by swap time.

Still haven't given any thought to what food I'll bring. considering what our weather has been likely for most of this summer, perhaps a pot of hot mulled cider!

• Musa_addict
    19 years ago

Hi, I've been watching for a good swap, and this sounds great!

I'm interested in hostas, daylilies, heuchera, etc, but what I have to offer up are tender perennials and tropicals. Is there usually any interest in these?

(and how do you post a picture?)

Thanks,
    Charlie

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Ooo, Alison, hot mulled cider sounds good. Remember when we had the swap in the fall a few years ago - it was 82 degrees that day. Who knows this year if it will be a hot mulled cider day or a lemonade day!

Charlie, you can bring tropicals and tender perennials if they are marked very plainly that they won't overwinter outside. People have brought houseplants in the past and such. Last spring someone brought 6 huge pots of bromileads.

Join in the fun!

...Beverly

• hagey
    19 years ago

Trish I e-mailed someone about Strawberry Candy Daylily trading for hostas. I have not heard back and do not know if it was you or not. I would like to trade for that daylily. We just redone the mini hosta garden and hubby said get rid of some because I think I broke my back. Hostalavista, we have not settled on the trade yet, but I have some mini ones now to add to the list. We are slowing running out of room. I know there will be some mini's in what I we bring. Cannot wait for the 18th to come.
    Beverly the walk through the garden went well. Went are you coming to MI? Betty

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Hi Betty...Can't wait to see you again!! We'll be coming to Michigan later in fall. (email coming!) Boy, I am getting excited about the swap, too!!

...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Hi folks!

Oy vey! This damp weather is eally taking it's toll. Last week I potted up three rambling roses for the swap and they now have dust mildew! What's a girl to do? Oh well. I'm sure something will stay healthy enough to go swapping!

Mimi

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I hear ya Mimi. I can't believe I'm complaining about rain in August, but it's really taking a toll. I'm cutting down and destroying as fast as I can.

• bolecke
    19 years ago

Charlie,

I usually do impatiens, New Guinea impatiens, and coleus cuttings. I take the cuttings in the fall and try and keep them going until its warm enough to put them out. I am also a big fan of tropical bulbs. Seems like the theme is perennial plants and bulbs, but I wouldn't mind if there were some tropical stuff. I am in love with Hippeastrums, Crinums and Clivia. I ditched some of my extra houseplants at the spring swap. They were this close to being compost.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

I keep looking for some RSVP's from some folks that I met from Freecycle. Two have said that they are coming. I sent them here but... If you ladies are lurking, please post. We won't bite!

Mimi

• gardenmeditation
    19 years ago

Mimi,
    As promised, and a little late, I'd like to RSVP. Thanks a lot for the freecycle tip. My friend will probably come along so RSVP for her too. I've got Potato Vine, Chamomile, and some Sedum starts. Still diggin.
    Suzi

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Cool! Can't wait to meet you Suzi!

I potted up several pink/lavender Cranesbill geraniums and prarie coneflowers this week. I will be digging up more stuff as I "rearrange the furniture". Some things just didn't look as good as I thought they would. Time to move them!

Beverly's DH, Jim, has been asking me what I'm bringing to eat. I told him it would be good, hot, and in the roaster!

Happy digging!
    Mimi

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

We have some wet weather this week and I think Mimi has the right idea. It's time to move and divide some things. The best laid plans . . . .

I'm looking for some ferns and hostas to re-plant a bed that I thought got more sun than it did. Turned out I had a ton of floppers. I keep forgetting that shade trees grow . . . .

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Yes indeed...I've been diggin' alot while the diggin's good! I've got several kinds of heuchera, chelone, different crainsbill, ferns, daylilies, and more. I am getting excited!

I am really enjoying the tomatos now...from all the plants I got at the spring swap. Yum!

...Beverly

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

OMG!!! I have done a test run on the salad I planned on bringing and it's FABULOUS. Get this: two kinds of apples chopped, feta cheese, then walnuts that I glaze in sugar and pepper, red leaf and romaine lettuce and then this wonderful vinagrette. This is a MUST BRING!

It's supposed to be a killer salad and IT IS! WOW! I'm going to make a huge bowl - all the wonderful tastes of fall. KEWL. My three teens are scarfing.

It's so robust, it's nearly a meal! OK, great plants, great food! I am ready!

• bolecke
    19 years ago

FERNS!!! I love ferns. On another note looks like the Sept 12 Cinci swap is going to be a real bust but I'll head down anyway. At least I have something to look forward to on the 18th.

• gentlegardener
    19 years ago

Bolecke, I am insulted that you think our Cincinnati swap might be "a bust.." Just the fact that you are going to get to meet me and I am going to get to meet you means it will not be a bust.

Seriously folks, some of you must be close enough to come to this swap also. You do not have to bring everything you have. The 12th swap can be a warm-up for the 18th. While you are in the area, you could shop a couple of the fabulous growers where there are fall sales--yes, they are open on Sun. and near the expressways.

I cannot come to the Hilliard swap because I am belong to a garden-related group meeting on the same date, so I hope to see some of you this Sunday. Details on the Ohio Valley forum.

Peg aka gentlegardener

P.S. I will be revising my exchange lists later today after some serious sale shopping this week.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

My (our) good friend, Mimi, has the nose of a bloodhound when it comes to freebie plants and "stuff" for the garden. There's a old, old homesight in Hilliard that's been sold to a developers. Thank goodness the people are taking some of the buildings. Plus, leaving the almost 200 year old outbuilding. (with the agreement to NOT level it)

Anyway, Mimi got permission (had to sign an injury waiver) from the owner and builder to take the plants and bricks that they didn't want. I went with her today and we gathered up 13 plastic grocery bags of iris, some hosta, daylilies and more. I know that they'll be iris and hostas for sure to bring to the swap - even after we distruted them to friends, neighbors and family members

It was a sucessful search and rescue mission today. It was lots of fun. Wouldn't want those plants to be bulldozed under and the antique bricks to go into a landfill.

See you all soon.

Yippeeee.......Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

It was great to have a buddy who could share/help with the search and rescue today! Not everyone understands how you simply can't let perfectly good flowers get buried! I'm sure you all can sympathize.

See you Saturday!
    Mimi

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Great job! I salute you both! What are they going to do with the property?

Hey it appears we might be in for rain Saturday. At first I was disappointed, but then I remembered: these folks are gardeners, it will be perfect either way.

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

That is just way tooo cool!! Mark them so we know which ones they are. I'd like to preserve a little of Hilliard's history in my yard. :~)

I'm bringing some sedum (autumn Joy), Japanese Iris and daylilies. (Tangerine Horses, Roses in Snow, Gold Mist Red,
    Strawberry Candy and I think something else I can't think of right now.)

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

I was not sure I could make it, but my daughter talked me into it. I did not feel like digging but she said she would do that and I may find some glass flowers.

• ginam_oh
    19 years ago

WAAAAAAAAH! I'm not going to be able to come! I have to work. :(

But you can bet that I'll be ready for the spring swap next year. This year I'm WSing, so I'll have LOTS to bring!!

I know you will all have the best time. The spring swap was my first and I was amazed at the generosity and fun personalities that abounded!!!

Tell me all about it when it's over...I can live vicariously!
    Gina

• Rastagecko
    19 years ago

Unfortunately, we aren't going to make it to the swap. I am between jobs right now, and we just can't swing a trip into Columbus right now. I hope everyone has a good time. We'll see you in the spring.
    James

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Boo hoo, James & Gina can't make it.(James, sure hope a job you'll like comes your way quickly!!!!) Well, Mimi & I will do a swap in May again. We'll count on seeing you then.

So glad you can make it, Shadowgarden!!

Yes, Trish...we'll mark the Hilliard iris from the old homestead. Actually, don't know if the iris are oldies...but, the property is!!

Bakemom...they are going to put in a small subdivision on the land, of course.

I think I am done diggin' for now.

Thanks again to Tiffany & Kathy for doing this swap!!!

...Beverly

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wah! I'm going to miss James and family and our new friend Gina too! I'll put in a prayer for you to find a job quickly James!

Tiffany and Kathy: My friend Liegh Ann is planning to come. Her email is being strange but I'm RSVPing for her. Also, my friend Kelly is planning to come too. She hasn't been able to make it to the spring swap because of schedule conflicts so I hope that her four munchkins allow her to come. ALSO, would you like me to post my swap signs at the park and the 5 way intersection? They are hanging in my garage. Let me know.

I'm excited! I have to put tags on some of my plants. Others are still in the ground! I'm not too worried because those ones are the things that will be big clumps that are going into grocery sacks. Wooooo! Hoooooo!

~~Mimi~~

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

I'm really, really getting excited!!!!!
    Trish, I love the names of your daylilies that your bringing, I hope I get some!!
    Gina, I'm sorry you have to work, but, we'll let you know all about it....
    James, sorry you and family aren't coming too! Darn, you will be missed!
    And thanks to Tiffany and Kathy for doing this swap, and uh, by the way, there's another person coming, Dave wanted another Mimosa tree so I asked if he was coming to the swap and he said, 'Thanks for the heads up on the swap.' So you better count a couple more!! Yee Haa, the more the merrier!!!
    I'm bringing some bittersweet starts, anyone interested?
    Hostalavista Baby!!! Linda

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I have just glazed the walnuts for my salad and am preparing the ingredients for the homemade salad dressing.

I'm going to try and get out and dig some special requests and some daylilies. The winter sowing newbies are snarfing up most of my seeds, but hopefully I will have some for the taking.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

Oh Yum, Bakemom! I cant' wait to taste this.

...Last night I picked oodles of different cherry tomatoes to add to my cuke & sweet onion- sweet & sour salad. This is my Granda Frieda's recipe of sorts - only I use red vinegar. I don't think she ever put cherry tomatoes in hers. This old-fashioned dish is the one I always have to take to the family reunions - or I am drummed out of the family. Isn't it fun to carry on traditions. Actually, I am more of a spicy japanese cold noodle peanut salad kind of a person, too.

I may dig up a few more things in the AM if it's not too wet. I am anxiously waiting to hear from my Michigan friends, Betty & Ron. What a wonderful excuse for a "road trip" and get together.

Hostalavista...is bittersweet invaisive?? I know it's beautiful and the birdies love the berries.

...Beverly

• juanital
    19 years ago

It sounds so exciting and would love to go :)...but I can't,(I don't trust my vehicle):( ...would love to meet you all...But I'll just settle for seeing GWs site for now Hope you all have a great time and looking forward to read on how it went...:)

• alison
    19 years ago

Coolness!

I'll be coming with two, possibly 3 friends. Several less plants than this spring, but still plenty to share.

And ginger beans to eat! (I'm looking forward to the food about as much as the plants.)

I'm not sure I believe it, looking at this grey, grey sky, but the forecast calls for mostly sunny skies and low-70's tomorrow. Too perfect to pan out, but I'm crossing my fingers....

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Boy am I ever getting hungry! The tortellini and fresh tomato and.....is in the fridge. I'll put it in the roaster and it'll be hot for lunch. Come hungry! I'm Italian and made enough to feed an army!

Plants, Garden stuff and food are ready. See you all in the morning!!!!

~~Mimi~~

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Well Bev,
    I've heard Bittersweet is invasive but not for me, I have it on a fence line and it stays there.
    I just hope I can sleep tonight!!!!!!! linda

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Well I just wanted to say thanks! Great time and the bees kept us hoppin'. I'm particularly pleased to get more knautia, cimcifuga, anemone and other dainties. I tried to winter sow celandine poppy last year and it failed to germinate, so I was particularly happy to get those.

Here's the saled:

Apple-Feta Tossed Salad

2T margerine
    1 cup walnut halves
    1 T. Sugar
    1/8 tsp. pepper
    5 cups torn romaine
    5 cups torn red leaf lettuce
    1 green and 1 red apple - chopped (toss in lemon juice)
    1 cup feta cheese
    Dressing:
    6 T. olive oil
    2 T. white wine vinegar
    2 T. chopped onion
    1 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustart
    2 chopped garlic cloves
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1/4 tsp. dried oregano
    1/8 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp dried parsley flakes
    1/8 tsp. pepper

In skiller, melt margerine over medium heat. Add the walnuts, sprinkle with sugar and pepper. Stir to coat and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 15 minutes. Stir every five minutes and remove from sheet to cool.

In a large bowl, combine lettuces, apples and feta cheese. Combine the dressing ingredients and blend. Drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Top with sugared walnuts

12 servings - I doubled for the swap.

• storygardener
    19 years ago

A big thank you to Tiffany & Kathy for hosting the swap this fall! I know you can't read this now because your computer is down...but, when you're back online.. please know we had a GREAT time.

I got wonderful goodies, indeed...mostly daylilies, iris & sedum and..... lots more.

Bakemom...Thanks for the recipe. Your salad was great. In fact, truth be known - I think gardeners are good cooks, indeed.

What terrific plants people brought! And those tomatoes at the end - it was wonderful to see all those different kinds. I can't wait to try the ones I brought home.

Had a wonderful time. It's great to connect with gardening/gardweb friends. See you all around the gardenweb. Mimi & I will host a swap in May....stay tuned.

good gardening to all...Beverly

• gardengirl_17
    19 years ago

I'm so happy I could make it to my first swap! I'm only sorry that I wasn't feeling well and so I wasn't as social as I would be usually. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you again in the Spring and getting to know you better. The plants were all Wonderful! Thanks to Kathy and Tiffany for organizing the swap. You did a great job!

Kim

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

Great to meet you Kim! I actually have a little sunburn myself. You were my inspiration for multi-tasking.

A little sun, a little scoping out what Rose brought.

• shadowgarden
    19 years ago

We had a great time. Thanks.

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Wowser! Did I ever have fun!

This was the first swap I ever went to as a "civilian". It was great to be able to just cruise around and socialize and lurk! I got lots of goodies. I'm especially excited about "Ceasar's Brother" Japanese Iris, (thanks Trish!) "Purple Glory" daylilly (thanks ?), and three scented geraniums (thanks Alison!) plus so many others that I'm excited to plant. Thanks to everyone for the delicious food goodies too!

Kathy and Tiffany you did a bang up job! I hope you check the thread when your computer is up again. Everything went soooo well!

I hope that everyone had as good a time as I did!

Can hardly wait until Spring!

~~Mimi~~

• hostalavista
    19 years ago

Boy did the swap turn out good, I had a great time!
    The plants, the food, the company, what a great day it was!
    The time flew didn't it?
    Meeting different people, especially gardeners is wonderful.
    Good to see everyone that I had met before and great to talk to new people. I didn't want to leave!
    Thanks to Tiffany and Kathy, I do hope once they get their computer fixed they get to read all the nice thank yous from all of us. They did a great job.
    Hostalavista Babee!!! linda

• trishohiozone5_6
    19 years ago

Thanks Tiffany and Kathy! I had a great time!! I got some reeeeally nice plants and it was wonderful to see everyone again!

• alison
    19 years ago

Thanks so much to Kathy and Tiffany; this was a fantastic swap.

I picked up some wonderful things: great blue lobelia, rose campion, a Jacob's ladder, meadowsweet, dwarf iris, willow shrub and fuschia cuttings, and 3 (count 'em!) 3 bags of Stella D'Oro! Oh, and two bags of Jack-in-the-pulpit seed stalks; I'm busy researching those now, to figure out the best place and way to plant them.

I got a chance to spread the gospel of scented gernaiums and found good homes for tansy, mugwort, heuchera, sedum, a bunch of bearded iris, and most importantly my little leaf lilac. Poor guy's been doing his best for two years back behind the tomatoes and peppers every summer -- it's nice to know he'll get a chance to be a star in someone else's yard!

But most importantly, I got a chance to hang out with some really nice folks who are just as geeked about plants as I am -- which is a great time in and of itself! Maybe next time I'll actually get there on time.....

Nah, probably not. But I'm looking forward to it!

(BTW, did anybody happen to find an unclaimed crockpot during clean-up? I didn't realize I'd left it until I was doing the dishes late last night -- seemed a bit too late to drive back by that time. If somebody found it let me know and I'll come pick up my orphan.)\

Thanks again, everybody!

• princess_mimi
    19 years ago

Alison,
    Your crockpot was taken home by Kathy and Tiffany. We just found it on the table looking forlorn. Does anyone know how to get in touch with them other than this thread? Hope that you and your pot are reunited soon!

BTW...The weather is supposed to be perfect for planting this week! WHOOOPIE!

~~Mimi~~

• bakemom_gw
    19 years ago

I think that crockpot might make a nice winter sowing container.

• alison
    19 years ago

ROTFLMAO!

Paging Kathy and Tiffany.....

• maozamom NE Ohio
    19 years ago

My DH and I had a great time. Not only did I meet nice people, eat good food and take home new plants but I also picked the minds of a couple knowledgable gardeners. Thanks Kathy and Tiffany

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm