Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alison_col

September 28th -- Central Ohio Fall Plant Swap 2013!

alison
10 years ago

I can't believe I waited this long to post this -- thanks the Jennifer for a nudge.

Terri D. and I will once again be hosting the Fall Plant Swap -- small but gaining ground! -- at her house in Columbus. Saturday September 28th is a Buckeye game day -- but it's a 8pm start, so you have plenty of time to rest up for the game after the swap. Just like the spring event, we'll have some time to meet and chat, a potluck lunch, and plenty of plants to share.

Here's the particulars:
Location: 3755 Atwood Terrace, Columbus (directions to follow)

Date: September 28th

Time: 11:00 - ? (when all the plants are gone and there's nothing left to eat!)

Bring your plants, a dish to share at the potluck, a lawn chair if you've got one and -- an appetite for some fun!

We'll set up around 11:00, and plan to eat around noon. (Personally, I like to eat before, during and after the swap, but YMMV....).

Swapping will start around 12:30 As with the spring event, it's a round robin style swap:
Round 1, everyone can take a plant.
Round 2, everyone take a plant.
Round 3, take 2 plants
... etc, and you can take home up to as many plants as you brought. If you bring 50, you can take home 50. If you bring 5, you can take 5. Plants can be divisions, full size plants, rooted cuttings or starts. Non-plant, garden related items are also nice; seeds, planters, gardening magazines and the like.

Looking forward to another great chapter in the garden swap saga!

Getting to Terri's from I-71

Heading north:
Take I-71 to the North Broadway exit.
Turn right (east) at the head of the exit ramp onto North Broadway travel 2 blocks.
Turn left (north) onto Maize Rd, travel about 10 blocks.
Turn right (east) onto Elmore, travel 4 blocks to the intersection with Atwood Terrace.

Heading south:
Take I-71 south to the Morse Rd exit
Turn left (east) at the end of the exit ramp, travel 5(?) long blocks to Maize Rd
Turn right (south) on Maize Rd, travel 5 (?) long blocks, cross Cooke Rd and keep going 2 blocks to Elmore.
Turn left (east)onto Elmore, travel 4 blocks to the intersection with Atwood Terrace.

When you reach the roundabout, at the intersection with Atwood Terrace, Terri's will be the green and white house on the corner to your left (the north-west corner, for those with a compass) but the driveway where we'll be checking in is actually on Elmore.

Hope to see you there!

Comments (17)

• nuskewl
    10 years ago

I'm putting it on the calendar!! Not sure what I'll have to exchange... or what I'll bring for lunch.

Is it OK for me to let some friends know about the swap? Although, all the gardening friends I tell about the swaps don't ever come. :

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Definitely, let friends know! Tell your neighbors, your garden club, and anybody else you think might be interested -- the more the merrier!

I've started potting things up for the swap. This big, unknown heuchera was a left over from my folks. It's coming to the swap...

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Potted up a few more things to bring to the fall swap, including this 'Blue Arrow' hosta. A few years ago, a friend of a friend gave me a small start. It's grown so well I've got several good sized plants now!

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm getting ready to dig up a ton of gold irises for the swap. they're wonderful flowers and I have two large stands of them in the garden at work that are being overshadowed by the trees and shrubs.

They're a glorious gold color -- just the thing you need on a grey day in April!

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Three weeks to go -- I'm getting excited, and getting a lot of things potted up.

Including two Ginger Whip daylilies! (Mine were a bonus from a hosta order this spring, so the picture's from Dave's Garden.)

I've also got some succulents for indoors, and two terrariums potted up and looking good. I've also got some nice hanging baskets that I was planning to take cuttings from for the winter -- Purple Queen tradescantia pallida and green-and-white variagated tradescantia zebrina. If anyone wants some of these, let me know!

Still not sure what food I'm bringing for the potluck. Probably the tried-and-true pulled pork and a dessert. But who knows? We might have margaritas again....

Look forward to seeing you all!

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And is there any interest in orchids? I've got several more phalanopsis than I can overwinter. I can bring those as well!

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This terrarium needs some occupants before it's finished. Dragons? Aliens? Teeny tiny cowboys?

Come find out -- and maybe take it home!

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Woo-hoo! A week and a half to go to the swap, and I'm starting to round up all my plants. Hostas, heucheras, irises, orchids, dark purple ajuga and more. I've got several dozen plants potted up, and am still spotting more!.

We've got some great door prizes, from terrariums to bath herbs to home made jams and more.

And we'll have good food! I'm going to do the pulled pork and buns, and probably make a dessert as well, 'cuz I have a sweet tooth....

I know there about a dozen people from Facebook who are coming, and a bunch of Terri's neighbors -- who else is in?

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yay -- coming up this Saturday!

A few more folks coming -- and the promise of golden and/or raspberry canes.

Fresh grape jelly from the feral Concords (which had a bumper crop this cool summer!), home made sourdough bread, and the pork shoulder marinating in the fridge. and perhaps some kind of pie....

Looking forward to seeing you!

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

Oh I so wish I'd known about this early enough to start some cuttings! I've only got a couple things potted but I'm going to try and come anyway. This is my third year gardening and so far I've stuck mainly to veggies but I have some shady spots in the yard I'd like to tackle next.

I've got lots of heirloom tomatoes to share if anyone's interested in those. Some other cool seeds as well. Really really really really really really really really really really really really want a hosta ;)

Might be able to talk my husband into letting go of a bonsai ;)

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, definitely come! Tomatoes are always good -- mine have been lousy this year and I'm envious of others. Seeds are great as well.

I know I'm bringing a Blue Arrow hosta, a Royal Standard and an unnamed but pretty dwarf hosta. I'll look around and see who else is willing.

The pulled pork is in the crockpot as we speak, and I'm going back and forth on what dessert to make. Plants are boxed up and ready to go. The orchids, succulents and terrariums are hogging the kitchen counter -- but not for long!

Look forward to seeing you all Saturday!

• jeanne
    10 years ago

Well, my printer is out of ink so I won't have pictures for my daylilies. here are the pictures, jot down the number-letter combo of your favorites and you'll have a leg up on the competition when it's time to make your selections.

Hit ctrl and + to zoom in, ctrl and 0 to go back to normal view. I know the parentage of some of these, you can always email me if you'd like to know more. Thanks for looking, see you at the swap!

• storygardener
    10 years ago

I hope you all had a great time. Hopefully, I'll get to the fall swap next year. How many folks attended? Good gardening to you all.

Beverly

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

What a wonderful afternoon! We had a very nice turnout -- 14 people and over 200 plants, everything from orchids and peonies to coneflowers and ajuga -- and some plants I'd never seen before!

I picked up some lovely things; Attar of Roses peony, brunnera, purple daylilies and a boatload of lambs ear that I really needed! Plus a lovely thistle feeder that will be perfect for luring the finches to my bedroom window. We had some great door prizes -- and plenty of peonies for all!

The food was great -- as always. The sausage/rotini casserole, the broccoli salad and the orange cake were special standouts. But it was all good!

And as always, the people were wonderful. Some folks I know well, like Jeanne and Mary, and some I've met before, like Jenny and Sarah. Some folks were new to the fall swap, like Elizabeth and Deb. And some people I haven't met before, like Sessa, Denise, Linda and Judy!

I know I'm forgetting people, but I won't forget what a great time we had. A lbunch of us lingered around the firepit long after the official 'swapping' was over, swapping stories.

As always, a huge thanks to Terri D -- one of the most gracious hostesses I know!

• katbird
    10 years ago

Looks fun ! I have recently re-discovered GardenWeb and am wanting to participate in the Swaps, is there a spring swap as well as the fall swap?

• alison
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh, yes - we love trading plants around here! The spring swap is usually mid-May, and for years has been at the Hilliard Park. I know Mouse will probably announce early, so check this website mid-winter to find the date and the directions.

Hope to see you there!

• mjzzyzoff
    10 years ago

Well I missed the fall one, unfortunately fall is my work busy time. But I am SO EXCITED ABOUT SPRING! Someone post it soon so I can mark my calendar!!!!

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor