Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patty_texas

Central Texas/Austin Area Fall Swap

Patty_Texas
20 years ago

Dear Fellow Texans -- just a reminder that our Fall swap will be held October 4 in San Marcos. We had a swap there last year and we had good comments on the location. I have not been able to reach our regular webmistress, who usually keeps up a website on the local swaps. We would usually post all the info there with maps, etc. However, until I hear from her, please contact me if you would like more information.

If you answer thro GardenWeb, please make sure that, in your preferences, you do not mark the box which does not allow your email address to be seen. I won't be able to answer you if you do this.

Hoping to see you there !

patty

Comments (15)

• Redthistle
    20 years ago

I'll be there. I have a nifty door prize and I may buy a second "something."

As for plants, I'm working on it. I've dug up a few babies from my garden, and potted them. I have my fingers/toes crossed that they will be ready to go by swap time.

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    20 years ago

Patty, you know to count me in. I may be bringing someone. If so, then we'll bring some extra picnic food.

Crystal

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

More Info:
    It will be at Rio Vista Park in San Marcos on Saturday, October 4th, pretty much rain or shine. If, however, we are under severe weather advisories, there's a good
    chance many of us won't venture out into it. Tornadoes, floods, etc, tend to make me want to stay home. But if there's a shower in the area, we aren't usually scared off -- most of us regulars have been to two swaps where it poured ! They were still good !

We weren't sure what time to start, so please plan on being there between 9-10 a.m. -- we know that some of you have a good ways to drive. The earlier the better !!
    Swapping can start with only two people. ;-)

DIRECTIONS:

If you are driving south on IH 35:

Take the 204B C.M. Allen Parkway exit.

Stay on the access road until you come to C.M. Allen Parkway... It's a good ways. You'll cross over the San Marcos River, and then you'll come to C.M. Allen... and the baseball fields. There were big piles of dirt out in the open lots...

Turn Right on C. M. Allen (it's the only way to turn. IH 35 is to the left). Go to the stop sign (you'll pass by the baseball fields). At the stop sign, turn right... this is Cheatham Street. Rio Vista Park is 1/10 of a mile on the left. Turn Left on Reynolds Street (1/10 mile)... by the big stone sign. Follow the drive way around past the swimming pool to the parking lot.

Pavilion B has 4 picnic tables under the octagon pavilion. I hope to have up a sign
    that reads GARDENWEB SWAP, or something similar.

If you are driving north on IH 35:

We believe that you will take Exit 205 and take the turnaround under the highway and
    drive south using the directions above. There may be some construction in that area which may void our directions.

Please bring whatever you want to get rid of. Believe me, we'll have takers ! Plants, seeds, tubers, bulbs, cuttings ! Garden books, magazines, accessories, pots,
    fertilizer....anything you don't want but someone else may still get use from. If you have nothing.... come anyway.... we'll send you home with something !

We also will have drawings for door prizes, which are all donated for a little fun. Lunch will also be served with your help. Bring your favorite dish, or stop at the store for something to share with the group. Carla and I will be bringing the goods to eat with/on, as well as some sodas and perhaps water. (& Nametags !)

If you have a small table and chairs, please bring those for your use. Table space is limited, and we try to keep those clear so that we'll have some place to sit while we eat.

We hope you'll be there to have some fun with us. It will be nice to see all the regulars again. And very nice to have newbies there, as well.

If you have any questions, suggestions, comments, etc, please don't hesitate to
    email me.

Patty Soriano

• clynnta
    20 years ago

Patty, I am just getting into this & I am a new friend of Crystal. Met her through GW and am glad to have found her. My questions is, I would like to come, but since I am just starting to plant 3 acres I do not have anything to swap. Are there plants for sale or is it just "swap"? Either way I will probably ask Crystal if I can go with her, I just need to know what to expect.

Carrie

• Carla
    20 years ago

Carrie,

You are certainly welcome to come to the swap. Some beginning gardeners have brought other things in the past, such as gardening books, to trade. I can tell you that whatever I bring to trade will go home with someone else, since I don't plan on bringing any of my stuff back home.

Carla

• platasil
    20 years ago

I'll be there.
    I started some cuttings a few weeks ago- they may or may not be ready. I have collected a bunch of seed though so I will for sure have that. I'm thinking of bringing my mom.. and a dish from something from the garden, which will be basil b/c nothing else took off.any basil dish requests?

susan

• mollypitts
    20 years ago

I'm planning on coming too. I'm in the same boat as Carrie but will try to find something that someone can find useful. I might be able to bring 3 Astilbe that is having a rough life with me - my fella ran it over with the lawnmower !!?? - and it's coming back but I don't have enough shade for it so... Also maybe a book & some pots. I'll dig around.

Molly

• Redthistle
    20 years ago

I don't have to have a plant in trade for my plants. Other people have given plants to me, so I'd like to return the favor.

Also, does anyone want rose cuttings? (I don't even know if they will root at this time of year, but I'd be glad to bring them.) I don't have anything fancy.--Old Blush, Mrs. B.R. Cant, Zephrine Drouhin, Comtesse Du Cayla, Mrs. Oakley Fisher, Maggie, Marie Pavie, and Mrs. Dudley Cross. Send me an e-mail if you want a cutting.

• brarygrl
    20 years ago

I'm a newbie to plant swaps too - found out about the swap from RedThistle. I've got seedlings and seed packets to trade. See y'all saturday!
    Lindsey

• Laurie_CentralTX
    20 years ago

Redthistle - I have a good home for your sandpaper tree if you really want to bring it. I have a big yard that was never landscaped so I've been filling in over the last few years.

I don't have much to trade - aloe vera & asparagus fern, maybe lamb's ear and purpleheart.

• Patty_Texas
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It's this weekend !!! October 4. We should have terrific weather for it.

Hope to see you there !!

patty

• lmieke
    20 years ago

I know this is last minute, but I've told everyone at work that I won't be at the company picnic this year, and my boss didn't fuss, so I'll be there with y'all in San Marcos.
    I'll bring my hamb/cheese/bean dip stuff in a crock pot. I have kind of a nifty wind chime for a door prize. I'll bring as many plants as I can get into the car. I DON'T want to bring any of them home! I'm interested in rose cuttings mostly---------I've already emailed Redthistle. See you there! Linda by Bastrop

• Carla
    20 years ago

Linda, Good to hear that you will be there. It will be great to see you again. Love that dip of yours. I plan to bring a few rose cuttings as well. See you on Saturday. Carla

• Xtal in Central TX, zone 8b
    20 years ago

A couple of weeks late, but so what. I wanted to officially follow up with you to say how much I enjoyed getting back into working in my yard and attending the plant swap. As always, you had sooo many things. I wish that I had gotten there early to have spent more time looking over your things. Patty, you have such a great plant knowledge that I'm always amazed with your answers to my notes to you. I'm just glad to know you and Carla both.

Crystal