Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a pelargonium?

Posted by DAZED77 Bahamas (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 26, 05 at 12:13

Pic:

If it is, can someone tell me whats going on with it? Ever since I planted it 2 months ago, it has been giving off yellowing leaves. It has been raining ALOT since I got it and is planted in full sun. Also, the plant seems to move around if I touch the stalk. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a pelargonium?

Well, the leaves certainly do resemble those of a Pelargonium, but we neeed to see flowers.
But there is a quick test-go sniff the leaves!
If you get a weird not-quite-nice-not-quite-nasty smell then its a pelargonium.
I'm a bit concerned about this moving around business, sounds like it could be a Triffid! ;)

You say youve had rain, well Pels dont really like water on the leaves, at least when grown indoors you should never mist them.

o

Hi Greenlarry. Yes I sniffed and there is a weird smell on the leaves. I can't describe it though. Triffid as in 'man eating plants' lol. So I guess the stalk moving around is normal? I just wanted to know if the plant looks healthy. Here is a more recent pic.

o

Yep, definitely a Pelargonium, and I'm guessing it will produce white flowers.
Looks healthy, is it getting full sun which they prefer?

o

Yes, it is in full sun. Thanks for your analysis :-) I will post a pic when it has produced flowers! Thanks!

o

It is getting *too much* sun. Move it into semi or dappled shade for now. It may be a golden-leafed plant as well, which doesn't like much direct sun. But still it looks as if it's suffering from some nutritional deficiency; try a one-time shot of fish emulsion or high nitrogen fertilizer.
You also mentioned lots of rain. Pelargoniums mostly come from limited rainfall regions in S. Africa, definitely not a climate like Bahamas. Constant rain will wash out nutrients and eventually cause rot or pythium/black stem). I'd advise potting it; put it on a veranda or protected place, and start balanced-formula fertilizing regularly when it begins to look healthier. The stalk "moving around" means its roots have never started to grow again.

o

I wouldnt say it was getting too much sun, not enough maybe, as pels love the sun, they come from africa and the med and like it hot hot hot!

o

Mine don't like full sun I have morning sun and afternoon dappled sun and they love it and I water with a mist spray so maybe we have different varieties my golden leaf ones are in dappled shade all day

o

I would definitely place your pelargonium in a pot and give it some slow-release Miracle Gro. I have 3 potted pelargoniums that do not like full sun but then again, I'm in southern Gergia. I had bought a Rose that looked just like your pel in the pic and I repotted it with slow release miracle gro and now looks very healthy with the yellow leaves turned healthy green. I suspected this Rose was just getting too much water that washed out all the nutrients from the potted soil.

o
RE: Is this a pelargonium?/

I have been growing pelargoniums since I was a kid and one of the first things I learnt was that they dont like the leaves misting with water. Another is they love the sun(I have 3 out the back in full sun all day with hardly any water, and theyre coming into flower now)
Another useful tip is whern taking cuttings, avoid using rooting hormone powder, it tends to rot them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here