Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misss4448

Dormancy question

misss
13 years ago

I took cuttings of my mother plants this fall and they are well rooted and putting on new growth. I usually take my cuttings in spring but thought that I would have some fun this year and try something new. Well, now with limited window space I need the room that they are taking up.

My question is can I now put these plants into cold storage along with the mother plants? Or are they just too young to survive this treatment?

Comments (2)

• goren
    13 years ago

You took cuttings from a 'mother' plant and now you wish to use the space the cuttings are taking up. Them and the mother.

The mother plant can definitely be put into storage...if its done right, the cuttings I wouldn't think have enough energy to think they could be left to go completely dry....as the mother can...and since cuttings take up so little space, I find it hard to believe you cant find a space for them. Pick another window...or squeeze the cuttings in.

The mother plant can be put where there is no light, where it is cool, dark and dry. Basements are usually the place to put them where they can remain undisturbed until the ides of March...when she is brought back out, cut back to about 4", all old stems, leaves, are removed, the roots looked at for any sign of damage, then the plant is given a new clean pot (put some shards in the bottom), fresh potting soil or potting mix, placed in, firmed up, and watered. Then given the best window you have....south or west is ideal. Then no more water until new leaves form and then water only as the plant needs it. Water to drainage, then dump the excess. In about 4 weeks you should have a fair amount of foliage. To ensure all parts receive equal amount of sun, turn the plant every other day or so 1/4 turn. Start feeding it at half rate as the foliage comes. Flower buds might show before it goes outside....in about 6 - 8 weeks...but that's not necessary--it'll bloom when the higher sun hits it.
    As the foliage comes, give it increased light by placing it outside during daylight...back indoors at night, out for increased time to acclimate the plant. Then out to your permanent location...container or bed.

Cuttings can hardly be expected to go dormant completely as the mother can so it would be better to continue to bring them along as best you can. If YOU cant, then give them to a neighbor, a friend or relative.

• misss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I have the mother plants in storage for the winter and have done it just as you described. Usually I take my cuttings in spring but I did it this way this year. Just wondered if I could make room for more Amaryllis by putting these to bed.
    They will stay as they are!
    Thank you for your advice.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?