Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scented Geranium 'scent' ID question

Posted by efd123 none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 11:36

Hello all,
I bought a scented geranium a year or so ago as a "citronella". My question is, all I can think of when I smell it is rose! Just wondering if anyone ever exerienced this with a citronella or if I just happened to buy a mis-named plant. Also I've read that citronella is one of the only scented geraniums not recomended to cook with/ make products with, but this smells so rosey to me I am so tempted to make something with it. Thanks in andvance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scented Geranium 'scent' ID question

Pelargonium citronellum should have a distinctly citrus-y fragrance. The sense of scent is very subjective, so it may just be your nose rather than an issue with mislabeling :-)) But it could just as likely be a rose geranium as well.......Pelargonium graveolens looks quite similar both in leaf and flower to citronella and has a range of scents, including a lemony one. I'm no expert but I think they could be rather easily confused.

Both can be used for culinary flavoring.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pelargonium citronellum

o
RE: Scented Geranium 'scent' ID question

Thank you gardengal for your response! Now I am late in replying but I do appreciate it :) I definately believe that it is all in what im feeling when i smell it, it certainly does have a lemony scent, then it seems to have a lingering rose scent so its probably just my nose. I cant believe the similarities in the two plants! I have just been browsing online and they seem almost interchangable. again thanks for your reply!

Here is a link that might be useful: a photo i found, they look so similar :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here