Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What kind of geranium is this?

Posted by mjc_molie z6 CT (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 26, 14 at 13:41

Hi all,
My daughter lives in Saint-Denis, France, north of Paris. She's planted several window boxes this month but doesn't know what kind of geraniums she has. The one on the right is blooming and looks similar to the ones I grow here in CT. The one on the left has never bloomed, though it looks pretty healthy in this photo.

Does anyone recognize these varieties? I'd like to send her information on their care.

Thanks!
Molie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What kind of geranium is this?

The leaf looks much like Martha Washington Geranium. A beautiful flower but not as hardy as regular zonal geraniums. It is also not a perennial like the zonals. It does not tolerate hot conditions well and may stop flowering if the weather is too hot

o

'Martha Washington' is not a single cultivar but the name for a type of Pelargonium. In the UK they are called Regal Pelargoniums. The flowers vary in colour.

Although possibly less hardy than zonal pelargoniums, they ARE perennial in the right climate. Your daughter has planted hers out a bit early but they may well survive given the very mild winter we've had so far this year. I still have zonal pelargoniums and fuchsias flowering in my garden as it's been so mild.

BTW I can't see any flowers on the right hand pelargonium. Are you possibly seeing the pink flowers on the Primula planted next to it? Also the one on the right looks a bit shiny. Is it definitely the same as the one on the left? Is it perhaps an Ivy Leafed Pelargonium?

o

Thank you, dowlinggram and floral_uk! I'll send your responses off to my daughter.

Floral, the pelargonium on the right is, I believe, a leftover from last year. It flowers with white/pink blossoms. I'm sure it's an Ivy Leafed pelargonium/geranium, which is often seen spilling down from window boxes in France. They've very easily found in flower markets.

However --- in looking more closely at the photos, I realized that my daughter has those geraniums planted at a NORTH facing window. They're probably not getting enough sunlight and should moved to the west windows.

I wonder if fuchsias, primroses, or cyclamen wouldn't do better at that north-facing window, which is in my grandchildren's bedroom. The colors might be more cheerful for the children.

Opinions or suggestions?

Molie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here