Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dowlinggram

Zonal geranium cuttings

dowlinggram
9 years ago

I've been gardening for many years. Every fall I bring in some geraniums--zonal and ivy--so I can take cuttings in the spring. They do well in my south facing windows. Not as well as outside but OK.

Over the years I have tried every way possible for taking cuttings. I had the best luck by letting the cut end callus over by exposing it ti air for a few days but still lost some. I don't know what posting or even if it was geraniums but someone here said they put their cuttings on a heat mat under lights. An idea light went off in my head. That made so much sense because fungus--black leg-- loves wet and cold.

I usually take my cuttings later but when I went to water my plants a few weeks ago I noticed that 2 of the ivy shoots had almost broken off. I took a bunch of cuttings off them and while I was at it I took a few cuttings off of the zonal ones. I used rooting compound and planted them in damp pro mix in 6 celled inserts as soon as I took the cuttings. When I was getting my pro mix at the hydrophonic store last fall they had tall humidity lids and I thought they'd be perfect for cuttings. I put one on top of the tray with 18 cuttings and set it on the heat mat.

I'm overjoyed to report that 2 1/2 weeks later not 1 cutting has died and there is no sign of mold or blackleg. They all look extremely healthy and are showing signs of new growth that means they have rooted.

Comments (4)

Sponsored