Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gonene1

seeds from china fake or real?

gonene1
9 years ago

I have been growing geranium from seeds for some time now, and i have had good results.
but the price of the seeds (about $4 for just 10 seeds) made me seek another source for my seeds.
i found a store on aliexpress which has a large variety or geranium seeds for sell.
they come 100 seeds for just $1.20.

what i received does not look like any geranium seed that i saw.
they have maybe some resemblance, but one main characteristic of the geranium seeds is missing.
missing is a noticeable radicle (part of the seed that grows into root).
with my previous geranium seeds from USA supplier i always germinated the seeds in a position that the radicle is pointing down.
now i see no sign where is the radicle on these seeds?

I attach a photo with a few seeds , please take a look at it and tell me if it is even geranium seeds, or did i get fake geranium seeds.

Thanks

Comments (16)

• dowlinggram
    9 years ago

It could be just the picture but they look too big to be geranium seeds and the shape is not right. I don't know what you mean by the "radicle". I've always laid the seed on it's side and they grew just fine.

I would be suspicious of any geranium seeds that cheap. If you want good seed you must deal with a reputable company. Have you tried saving a plant or 2 and taking cuttings. I grow some from seed but most of my geraniums come from cuttings.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    9 years ago

Were they advertised as Pelargonium seeds or Geranium? Possibly they sent some common hardy perennial Geraniums. The shape looks roughly right but there's no scale in your picture so I can't be more certain.

• johnsgeraniums
    9 years ago

They don't look like geranium seed to me. I get a lot of geranium seed from various specialty groups in the UK and North America... This year I also ordered 4 varieties of wild collected geranium seed from China. The order came in a timely manor and all appeared to be geranium seed. They were winter sown and have been left out in the cold... Germination should not happen until April (I'm in Ontario), so I can't comment on viability.

• jean001a
    9 years ago

Grow a few and show us what you get.

• asclepiad_fan
    8 years ago

Cheap is expensive on the long run.

Geranium seeds look different and I did not find a picture of something like that.

This is the seed pod and the seeds inside. The seed pod catapults the seeds and looks like a chandelier when unleashed.

If you accidentally meant Pelargoniums, those do not catapult. They detach from the seed pod while retaining their casing which has the typical long spiral tail with a tuft of hair. They disperse by wind.

• bhardw16
    8 years ago

Saw the comment bit late, I ordered quite a few from aliexpress yesterday. On receiving few from named seed company, the country of origin was China. I hope that justify my purchase. The prices in Americas seems outrageous though. $15 for 10 seeds for some plant!!!! and tax on top. With all probabilities of thing going wrong, If only one makes it through to flower, it seems appropriate to buy the same plant in a 4" pot for $9.99 instead

• gwayne_gibson
    7 years ago

I bought some epiphyllum cactus seeds from aliexpress and planted them right away. The seedlings came out fast---they did sprout BUT they are not epiphyllum cactus. They look totally different from what the epiphyllum seedlings are supposed to look like but the seeds I bought from Aliexpress look very similar to the real one. I contacted the seller asking her what was going on and I have pictures to prove it. she played dumb. At first, she gave me her email address and said ok . After I sent her those fake seedling pictures and what really seedling pictures, she never answered my email. So I gave her a bad review. The 1st picture shows what the real epi seedlings look like and the 2nd one is from the seeds I bought from Aliexpress, they all came out something else. No money back of course. It is not all about money, I spent time and passion on it. Just waste your time and money on this website.

• Whirly Gigs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Avoid buying seeds from sellers in china at Ebay/Amazon/aliexpress/and Other related sites. Most of them sell Fake products that they already know its fake, but they continue to sell it anyway.

Sorry for late anwer. Haha

• Patti Chicago Zone 5b/6a
    5 years ago

I bought some ivy geraniums from Amazon and they were from china. They never germinated so they were either very old or fakes!!! Don waste your time or money.

• HU-270088834
    4 years ago

My wife and I just bought a house last year... I ordered 8 different types of seeds from wish.

Not a single order of seeds were delivered. Every single order had been opened by UnitedUS customs and destroyed .

Geek refused to give me refunds. I didn't order anything illegal.

They were dafodil and tulips.

• User
    4 years ago

I ordered Laura Bush petunia seeds from Amazon and ended up with a gazillion morning glories.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    4 years ago

HU many number, for future reference tulips and daffodils are grown from bulbs, not seeds, unless you are conducting a breeding programme. Any outfit offering seed is by definition suspect.

• HU-270088834
    4 years ago

I understand... I purchased bulbs, and seeds... For multiple multiple species of flower...

• HU-448249235
    3 years ago

Those seeds are poised!! No joke throw them out

• Leisa Irons
    3 years ago

I’ve bought flower seeds from Wish for 2 years and they have done great. My Pampas Grass (in 4 colors) was about 15 foot high last Fall.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Preferred Architectural Firm | Best of Houzz Winner