Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lilgardenjon72

Cranesbill from seed

lilgardenjon72
15 years ago

I finally have found some hardy geranium seed but the instructions are pretty scary-sounding. I had hoped to do some sort of winter-sowing instead of sticking a seed tray in our small fridge. I have plenty of light for growing on, but not many temperatures to offer... 68F in the house, 40 or so in the garage, or really cold outside in Chicago! Any suggestions? The seeds are for Purple Haze, a dark leaved purple flowered variety, and even though the seeds are over a dollar each, that is a big savings... if they sprout!

Comments (11)

• coolplantsguy
    15 years ago

I haven't tried 'Purple Haze', but I have sown 'Mrs. Kendall Clark' which is also a G. pratense type. I would suggest that you need to following the directions as close as possible.

One suggestion in regards to the required temps, is to hold off for another month or two, and sow in a tray or large pot that you can put outside during the day (when the temps in Chicago are what is required -- I would imagine close to freezing). You could move the tray/pot into the garage for the night if necessary (too cold).

Of course, that means a lot of work (moving in and out every evening and morning) for several weeks, but like you said -- big savings (not including your time!).

• casey1gw
    15 years ago

I've grown geraniums from seeds for several years using 'winter sowing'. I keep the containers outside all winter and they germinate in the spring when it warms up. I get very strong, stocky plants this way.

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

I've managed to germinate, splish splash, renardii, some phaeums, maculatum, mrs kendall clarke, Tiny Monster, and a few others, by using the baggie method with vermiculite.
    I just put the seed in damp vermiculite and leave at room temps for a month, some seeds will germinate after a week.
    If nothing happens I then put the baggie in the fridge for 3 weeks, then back to room temps.

• coolplantsguy
    15 years ago

Maggiepie, FYI please note that 'Tiny Monster' is a hybrid (G. sanguineum x G. psilostemon?), and should therefore be propagated only by division to retain the original characteristics. Any seedlings will vary somewhat from the original.

• maggiepie_gw
    15 years ago

Hi Mark, I am aware that most of the geranium seeds I have germinated won't come true to the parent, but who knows what I might get, all part of the fun of playing with seeds.:-)))
    Apparently Kashmir White does come true and also Sylvaticum Album.
    I have been growing clematis from seed and so far have had some gorgeous results.

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Lil
    do some winter sowing as Winter sowing forum FAQ / if that is what you refer to/
    they will do fine.
    Takes a while sometimes, so do not give up, could take few months but do not give up

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    15 years ago

Casey1, Thanks for saying you were able to winter sow some perennial geraniums. I winter sowed a lettuce container with
    21 seeds nearly 6 weeks ago and so far nothing has sprouted. Now I will not give up as there is still hope. When do you see life on the ones that are already established in your beds? Mine look lifeless right now. This plant is new to me so I am still learning.
    Tina

• sheltieche
    15 years ago

Tina,
    as a WS who grew tons of various hardy geraniums and have gazillions of reseeders some of them germinate in couple of days/ rare/ but most will take up to several months. If you do not see any growth by the end of May, check out your seeds, if they still hard and plump, they might germinate well into fall. I got some geraniums from trades and Plant World seeds last fall and WS them. Some did germinated during last few days of short warm spell here. I just got another order of hardy geraniums from Plant World seeds- man, those listings are hard- have to have all of them... LOL
    I soaked seeds overnight and just placed them outside. I expect germination by the end of this spring on most of them.
    Ellen

• vanessa_2009
    15 years ago

I have sprouted seeds in a hot house type tray with a top i'd like to know when to remove the top and let them sit under my skylight in the bathroom before putting them outside. PLEASE HELP!!!!

• ridoodles
    14 years ago

Would anyone like to sell me any of their hardy geraniums..I planted a "cranes bill" a few years ago and it came back last year and I didn't know what it was , but was amazed at how long it bloomed, and how easy to care for this perrenial...Now I want more...I like the fact it is a low grower...I am looking to cover the ground in front of a row of abervitie..sp? and have them eventually spread ...I was thinking it would look great to have a blanket of these under them...I have day lillies,pink lillies, purple morning glories....to offer as a trade or willing to pay money...

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    14 years ago

An update. The cranes bill seeds I winter sowed yielded one plant out of 21 seeds. But I potted it up and it grew a little then immediately set seed, I never did see a bloom. Funny,no? Anyway, some of the seeds are now turning black and ready to remove from the plant. Would you recommend I save them and winter sow or sow them right away? I am excited about raising my own instead of buying as I am a frugal gardener.
    Trowelgal or Tina

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery