Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blueflint

Lost all my...

blueflint
15 years ago

A couple weeks ago, we had our coldest blast of the year (winter not over yet though) and we had a couple nights at 10 degrees below zero. We were overwintering quite a few plants in a small "nursery" building...basically a 8' x 10' shed with a sloped plexiglass side. This was heated with a ceramic heater to a comfortable 50-55 degrees (at night). Just before that cold snap, I put a second heater in for extra insurance. Unfortunately we lost power that night and everything froze. We were overwintering a dozen very large verigated leaf Pelagoniums along with a dozen 12" hanging baskets with various cutting type ivy Pelagoniums (gorgeous huge blooms). All were doing quite well and were blooming very nicely and had fresh growth that we were looking forward to taking more cuttings from. Needless to say, we are sick with our losses. Along with these were other geraniums, New Guinea Impatiens, a couple ferns, etc. I guess we learned our lesson and have since purchased a small propane heater and a small kerosene heater for backup to get us by future outages in the winter. It will take us forever to make up what we lost. Sad but true. I hope no-one else goes thru what we had to. Good luck to everyone else and take care of those plants!

Comments (5)

Sponsored