Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
putzer_gw

Birch's Double

putzer
18 years ago

I am ordering it for this year. I have always thought it gorgeous! Has anyone here grown it? Opinions? Pictures?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• putzer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Time for this to sink :)

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

This is an interesting article. When discussing doubles it says:
    "These plants were first described by Ingwersen (1946). Geranium himalayense ÂPlenum (left) was first described in 1928 and is sometimes incorrectly called ÂBirch DoubleÂ. It is a weakly growing plant with small leaves, purple-pink petals and a second calyx."

I agree, it's a slow grower. But a beauty.

• putzer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot, Ann. On the second page of that article, it has a picture of g. 'Orion.' I am hoping to buy that this year, among others!

I am getting Birch Double for free from Gurneys...hopefully it won't be a 'weakly' growing plant, but at least I have nothing to lose if it fails miserably. I will do a search on Geranium himalayense ÂPlenum and see what I come up with. Thanks again!

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

Have you tried any of the other doubles?

I am also ordering {{gwi:821631}} as well this year, from the Netherlands, as well as the other newcomer mentioned in the same article, {{gwi:821632}}.

You can see some of my others Geranium here. (Not all of them are mine, but the are all in Norway and Sweden.)

• putzer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I found such beautiful varieties in the link you gave me! Spinners is gorgeous-I love how it holds the sunlight. This is the year that I buy hardy geraniums. Hopefully I can find them locally at a good price. They are amazing in both color and length of bloom.

One of my favorite pictures from the link:here

• kms4me
    18 years ago

I have found Birch's Double to be anything but weak growing. I divide it on an every other year basis and still have clumps at least 18 inches wide (I have it in six places). It is so tough, it comes right up through landscape fabric (the stuff with a suppposed 20 year guarantee).

Kate

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

Kate, could it be different clones, do you think?

• ladybutterfly
    18 years ago

Does anyone know the name of the blue flower Geranium at the bottom of putzer link??

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

Yes, it's my 'Mrs. Kendall Clark'. It's a beauty, isn't?

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:821633}}

• ladybutterfly
    18 years ago

Ann,

Thank you. Yes, I agree she is a beauty. Can you tell me more about her. I'm a newbie to Geraniums except to a few Ivy Geraniums.

In the other picture she looks more blue then she does in the picture you just posted...can you tell me if she is more blue or a little touch of purple?? How tall does she get??

In the other picture I had asked about I see a plant which the leaves have a little white on it..what is that??

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

I don't think the difference is that great, light blue with a hinch of purple (maybe).
    This is Magnar Aspakers 'Mrs Kendall Clark' in josefins garden
    And this is Sigrid Lerums
    Just a matter of light, I think.

These Geranium is not sisters and brothers to Ivy geranium, i hope you know that? These are cousins. These Geranium is the same as hardy cranesbills, perennials for the garden, while Ivy geranium is really a Pelargonium, the houseplant (well, at least a houseplant in Norway ...).
    Just in case you didn't know :-)

• ann_norway
    18 years ago

Sorry, forgot ... the leaves is from a {{gwi:821635}}, also called 'Variegatum'
    A slow grower in my garden, but I do hope is worth waiting for.

• ladybutterfly
    18 years ago

Ann, I wasn't sure how they were related. Thank you for the info. They are all so pretty!! Thank you so much for the links..they are very helpful. I seem to like the variegata ones best.