Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alla_pa

Splish Splash Geranium

alla_pa
19 years ago

I've seen it in Dutch Gardens catalog and loved the flowers. Has anybody have an experience with this geranium, good or bad? Does it bloom as well as Rozanne? Does it need very well-drained soil?

Has anybody ordered any hardy geraniums from this vendor?

Comments (15)

• sullicorbitt
    19 years ago

Hi Alla,

I got this plant last summer, it was on the small side (from a nursery) and the flowers didn't seem as magnificent as all the pictures but it could just be because it is still so small. I would not compare it in anyway to Rozanne.....can't even touch it but thats just my humble opinion :)

Sheila

• Doris_J
    19 years ago

Splish Splash is a dud, for me. It mildews, the bloom time isn't very long, overall, nothing spectacular.

• jamie68
    19 years ago

I love Splish Splash!! Not as large in bloom, or overall plant as Rozanne, but few are...:) The blooms are variable, but each one is pretty. I loved this plant so much I bought another at the end of the season and can't wait to see them both going strong this summer!! I have 20+ different varieties and cultivars of hardy Geraniums and count this one in the top 5 for sure! I think I got my first one through a Geranium mail-order nursery....

Here is a link that might be useful: Hardy Geraniums Mail Order

• alla_pa
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Jamie68, thank you for the info about your success with Splish Splash and the link to a Geranium mail-order nursery.

• margriet
    19 years ago

I grow Splish-splash myself from seed. It comes back as the same plant and is easy to grow. After two seasons my plants grew stronger and were not affected by mildew.

I think it's a great geranium! Very nice flowers.....

Margriet, The Netherlands.

• victorian_bellefonte
    19 years ago

Mine didn't make it through the winter...

• eden_in_me
    19 years ago

Mine has hung on for several years, in rather poor soil. I don't think it is that great, but any geranium is too nice to discard, unless perhaps the excess macrorhizomes and herb roberts.

• monarda_gw
    18 years ago

I have seen it looking so beautiful that I wanted it, but my own specimen was a disappointment. I wonder what the secret is to getting them to look well.

• karen_mcgaffney
    18 years ago

I have one coming in a trade and I liked the pic so much I ordered a second from Hirts Greens.
    I got the one from Hirts Greens and it is very large comparable in size to Johnsons Blue
    THink I may love it

• juttz
    18 years ago

From reading these posts on Splish Splash I should have worried about mine when I got it but its come back over 4 years now...its a tall hardy and gets leggy after it blooms but I think this year I will trim it to see if it will rebloom...love it and wouldnt be without it...Judy

• eden_in_me
    18 years ago

It has survived several years, but is not one of my favorites. Doesn't seem to have grown much either.

• debtro
    18 years ago

I got Splish Splash from Dutch Gardens along with 3 other hardy geraniums (4 of each variety). The other 9 plants took off, but each Splish Splash turned out only tiny shoots and then failed.

• buttercupia
    18 years ago

I bought this one last fall at a grocery store plant closeout. I didn't know what it was until it bloomed profusely this spring...very nice... unfortunately immediately after the bloom period, all the leaves curled up and look like the plant has some leaf curl disease....any clues as to what it is? I hope it pulls through and behaves..though right now I don't know what to do whith it, advise is welcome.

• grumpy1mc
    18 years ago

Mine was a dud. Paid six dollars for a nursery plant, it flowered briefly, flowers were not blotched but pale lavender. It does not mound like other geraniums, and this year looks like its dying. Don't know why. My Johnsons blue at $1.79 has been blooming for two months now, looks great it is a real oldie but goodie.

• pellie_grower
    18 years ago

Geranium pratense striatum aka 'Splish Splash' is a worthwhile addition to any garden. Straight after flowering cut everything to the ground and it will flower again in about 6 weeks

Here is a link that might be useful: just how varied are the flowers?

Sponsored