Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geranium 'Sweet Heidy' ?

Posted by cnetter z4 Co (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 6, 07 at 0:27

Has anyone any experience with this one? It seems to be showing up as a new intro in caralogs this year. I'm curious if the claims about it continous blooming are true.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geranium 'Sweet Heidy' ?

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 10, 07 at 16:06

Just saw pictures of Heidy and it's a beautiful plant. But it only extends to zone 8 and I'm 9a/b! Wondering if I can stretch that zonal thing just a wee bit!

o
RE: Geranium 'Sweet Heidy' ?

calpat, it is always possible to grow a plant listed as hardy to one zone in another that is higher. What the zones are indicating is average minimum winter temps that the plants can be expected to survive. In a higher zone, your winters will be somewhat milder, therefore the plant less likely to experience winter damage.

Why they put an upper limit on hardiness ranges is a bit of a mystery, as it really has no bearing on hardiness at all. A second, heat zone rating would be more meaningful. Obviously if a plant is winter hardy in say a zone 7, it will be equally if not more winter hardy in a zone 8 or 9! I believe they are trying to make some sort of correlation between winter hardiness and possible summer heat and humidity. Some plants that will exhibit winter hardiness in a lower zone just don't perform as well in a higher zone - perhaps because of too much summer humidity, lack of a full winter dormancy period or other climate-related factors that are unrelated to winter hardiness.

FWIW, this geranium should work just fine for you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here