Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabethk1

Scented geraniums for hanging baskets

I've been reading up on scented geraniums and planning to buy a few to grow in hanging baskets as houseplants. I contacted a few vendors who informed me that most scented geraniums grow too big to keep as houseplants. I was particularly interested in Apple, Brilliant Pineapple, Coconut and Peach. Any thoughts? I would also love it if the plants were reliable bloomers (indoors winter/outdoors summer) with pretty flowers. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments (4)

• dowlinggram
    10 years ago

If you were told by growers they are too big for house plants they more than likely are. I don't know too much about them but I do know that most scented geraniums have small flowers. It's the leaves that have the scent not the flowers.

• Edie
    10 years ago

How big is "Too big to be a houseplant?" Is that with or without pruning?

Liz, I think what you actually need to worry about is whether they are suitable for hanging baskets, since that's how you want to grow them. Scented geraniums vary in their natural sizes and growth habits. A plant that only wants to grow straight up is going to look silly in a hanging basket even if the plant is a reasonable size. Hanging baskets look best with spreading or trailing plants. Look for those words in catalog descriptions. Do an internet image search for the varieties you want to grow, so you can see what a mature plant looks like and what the blooms look like. And if you can find a place locally that sells them, try to sniff before you buy. Scent perception varies in humans, and you may not think they smell like their names.

I've grown a few scenteds. From your post it sounds like you really want a flowering plant, and scented geraniums are mainly a foliage plant. I've grown several that never flowered for me, ever. If you grow them, do it because you enjoy the leaves. I only have one right now, "Lady Plymouth." She does flower, but only in summer when I let her get big, and never as exuberantly as the zonals and ivies. Dowlinggram is right about the flowers being small. I cut my "Lady Plymouth" back to stumps in fall, as I do for my zonal and ivy geraniums. None of them bloom in winter with this treatment. They have to grow back into decent size plants, which takes until spring, before they can bloom again.

This post was edited by edie_h on Sun, Apr 20, 14 at 17:53

• msplankton
    9 years ago

may i ask a question on someone's thread? first time for me, and i chose this thread because i am looking for a scented red ivy geranium. any info would really help. thanks!

• cherrisa
    9 years ago

I have coconut and piña colada and they are trailers so they would be good with something like candy dancer.

Sponsored