Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
received 'johnson's blue' seeds

Posted by bfou (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 18, 09 at 1:59

i received some johnson's blue seeds through another seed exchange forum and they look like they were collected from a member's plant. (dried bits of flower in ziploc) should i bother with these seeds? i keep reading that this plant is sterile. i don't know who donated the seeds. their username isn't on the bag, so i can't find out how they were attained. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: received 'johnson's blue' seeds

bfou, that is not the case; Johnson's Blue will do fine by way of seeding.
You might ask around at seed houses about this border plant that doesn't like to be shoved around or put where other plants will shade it. It can take partial shade to sun well, flowering lasts June to August.

The plant does not, evidently, do well by division. Instead cuttings are recommended for better results

The "sanguineum" is a familiar pinky red variety (also known as Bloody Cranesbill) that naturalizes well and has the same flowering period as J.B.

o

thanks.

o

Jeannie7, I have no idea where you got that information from but it is incorrect. 'Johnson's Blue' IS a sterile hybrid and every valid hardy geranium resource will confirm that. That's one of the reasons it enjoys such a long bloom season. There are a lot of JB look-alikes on the market which do set viable seed but not the true 'Johnson's Blue'. And it propagates easily by division - the plant is semi-rhizomatous and spreads well.

bfou, your seeds could be anything and certainly worth planting, but if they do in fact germinate and produce flowers, they will NOT be 'Johnson's Blue'.

Here is a link that might be useful: JB look-alikes and other G. pratense hybrids

o

maybe a good candidate for one of my first winter sowing projects? i'll just see what comes up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here