Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redshirtcat

'Geranium' newbie question, sorry

redshirtcat
13 years ago

Up until a few weeks ago I didn't know that there was such a thing as a "Pelargonium." My mother buys "geraniums" every year and plants them in her beds that receive full to part sun. I gather based on my research so far that these are actually something like "Pelorgonium Hortorum." She buys them at the big box stores every year and they are incredibly boring.

I've decided to try to find her some more interesting varieties this year and based on my research here and at Garden Watchdog I took at look at geraniaceae.com. My first question would be: Is this still a reputable vendor? I see good things everywhere I look but most of the info I found on them here is from a few years ago.

My mother often buys "Martha Washingtons" every year around this time and keeps them inside as house plants. I gather that this is also an unscientific and unspecific name. She doesn't like to plant these outdoors since, according to her, they don't handle the heat. I believe these might be "Pelargonium Domesticum"? They are also sometimes called "Regals." I don't see either of these categories listed at Geraniaceae (either "Regals" or "Domesticum"). Are these just more colloquial categories or does that site just not sell them?

When I look at the varieties at Geraniaceae under Pelorgonium->Angel/Pansy Face I see a host of options some of which look like they might be Regals similar to what we call "Marthas" but I can't be sure. I suppose that if they are similar to the Marthas that she wouldn't want to try them in the full/part sun beds.

So I guess my main questions are: what would be some good replacements for her boring "P.Hortorum" that would thrive in part to full sun and have good flower power (long lasting blooms that can be seen from the street at, say, 100 yards). Would any or most of the "Pelorgonium->Angel/Pansy Face" be suitable?

Thanks, sorry for the newbie questions.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH