Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cltroses

difference btwn Rozanne and Ingwerson

cltroses
18 years ago

Hello. My landscape architecht recommended I plan Ingwerson geranium, but upon looking at some pictures, I like the blue geraniums like Johnson's Blue and Rozanne better. I did some research and found out that Ingwerson is a microrrhizum. Are Rozanne and Johnson's Blue the same thing? Is there some reason why you'd plant Ingwerson and not the blue varieties? And, what is a microrrhizum? lol...thanks for any help!

Scott

Comments (7)

• freebird
    18 years ago

Macrorrhizum's are clump forming hardy geraniums that are an excellent goundcover for shade. They bloom in my zone (6) in late spring, early summer. The flower on Ingwersen's is pink. Because macrorrhizums tolerate dry shade, I grow them under my maple. Rozanne, my favorite, needs more sun. In your zone, part sun may be fine. She has a blue flower. Rozanne is sterile. She grows into a clump that flops into a large clump. She starts to bloom in late spring and never stops until October. Last year she bloomed into November for me. Johnson's Blue has a similar flower to Rozanne and similar light requirements but does not bloom as long.

• PRO
    Earth Art Garden Design & Rejuvenation
    8 years ago

While not blue, a stronger-colored "Big-root" Geranium (macrorrhizum) would be 'Bevan's Variety'. Don't discount them.

• PRO
    8 years ago

And, one of my favorites, G. cantabrigiense (Biokovo) 'Karmina'.

• PRO
    8 years ago

While the varieties and cultivars of geraniums are many, they are quite different as to size and habit, bloom color, leaf shape and color and other attributes such as leaf fragrance, fall color and winter presence. They are some of my favorite perennials.

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    8 years ago

In addition, the macrorrhizums are highly deer resistant--mine have never, ever been eaten. Pretty much all other geraniums--Rozanne included-- are deer candy.

• Laurie (8A)
    7 years ago

I only the Cranesbill hardy geranium. Are they a long lived perennial?

• Julie Brocklehurst-Woods
    7 years ago

Yes, though I don't grow all varieties. I do have several varieties, most probably have been here for 20 years, all continue to thrive through deer, drought, and changing sun/shade conditions.