Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth_white66

ivy leaved bloom or survive under lights?

Elizabeth White
17 years ago

I've got 5 or so ivy leaved geraniums (pelargoniums) under lights in my basement. They're different colors, and I failed to mark them. They seem to make buds from time to time, but they don't actually bloom. I'm planning to take cuttings, and I would love to know which colors are which. Anyone here have successs getting them to bloom under lights? I should probably be happy they're still living!

Also, is it better to wait until a bit closer to spring as far as cutting success rates? I would rather start now so that they're as big as possible when it's time to put them out, but I know some plants root better when it's closer to spring.

Thanks!

Comment (1)

• jeannie7
    17 years ago

Elizabeth, why not plan on re-invigorating the plant...as it is...in the whole instead of taking cuttings.
    Not that taking cuttings isn't a bad idea...if you wish to use this as a mother plant and make lots more little plants, then go ahead...do that.
    But, if its just a wish to have this plant come back to life for another season, then why not do that.

Here its almost time....you can stretch it if you like...do it now....or wait another week...two weeks....and
    bring to a newspaper covered table....remove it from the pot, cut it back by 1/3....1/2......to about 4 - 5 inches.
    Tear the roots apart, remove all the old soil from the roots.....and after removing all the old leaves, the stems, the broken or damaged, pot it up into fresh potting soil after putting some shards on the bottom of the pot to allow for good drainage, water it well and take to the sunniest window you have. (but don't use a north exposure..its not good enough)
    Clay pot is an ideal one to use for geraniums.

Having watered it well to drainage, don't water again until new leaves begin to form...about 3 weeks or so.
    Keep turning the plant 1/4 turn every day.
    Don't feed until new leaves develop, then do so 1/4 rate 20/20/20....
    Don't let the water sit in the saucer for more than 20 - 30 minutes...then dump.
    In about 4 - 5 weeks, major leafing will develop....and maybe, before its time to put them outside for the season, flower budding will show.

Then switch over to 15/30/15...keep turning the plant 1/4 turn every day....or so.

Instead of making the plant try to perform under artificial light, why not consider just letting your plant sit the winter away in a cool, dark.....and dry location.