Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
zonal markings fading on pelargonium

Posted by mercy_leigh 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 14:42

Greetings.

Does anyone know what causes the zonal markings on certain pelargoniums? Mine is about five years old and the brilliant burgundy horseshoe markings started fading/not showing up after the second year. Since then, I have periodically searched for an answer to what promotes the markings with no luck. I had become resigned that it may have been some nursery hoodoo beyond my amateur means and does not take away from my love of the plant. Last month, a few of the leaves began showing the zonal marks again and I am hoping I can find an answer to encouraging the characteristic.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: zonal markings fading on pelargonium

I've grown geraniums for years. I take some of mine in every fall and let them grow under reduced time under my lights. I then take cuttings in the spring.

I have noticed that as geraniums get older those marking tend to fade. Even the ones with just a little difference in leaf color eventually turn solid green.

There is really nothing you can do to bring back the leaf color. This doesn't bother me because I grow them for the flowers not the leaves.

If you really want to keep the color on other plants you might consider starting some from seed. They are really easy to grow from seed but do take about 3 months to get to the flowering stage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here