Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mehearty

Oh shoot. What's this on the underside of zonal ivy?

mehearty
15 years ago

Ivy geranium is growing nicely, but of all the other geraniums in my sun room, its leaves seem to be coming in a bit smaller than usual. I'm having a problem with flower buds shriveling on all plants, but only this one has this ugly problem. I re-potted today, and that's when I noticed some leaves with this:

I cannot find another pic like this on the web, so I wondered if anyone knows what it is? I'm sure its a fungus, but how bad? This plant is in a sun room with 5 other mature geraniums and some new seedlings. I need to know if this condition is a danger to the others. Of course, this is my favorite pellie. =(

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

At this time there just isn't enough sun to promote flower buds yet...any that do form wont have enough energy to open.
    I suggest instead of asking the plant to flower, you remove what buds do form at this time. Let the plant conserve energy to promote growth.
    But, give it a month...the sun will be much better. Be sure to turn your plant a quarter turn every day or so to give the plant equal sun power.

The pels are normally not subject to invasion of pests so I suggest you look at your soil....potting soil that is.
    Was it fresh when you planted...or is it the old stuff from last year and maybe you are right, there's a fox in the chicken house...a mold might have invaded the damp, old earth.

Does the plants drain well and do you dump the excess after allowing full drainage.
    I wouldn't fertilize either at this time until the foliage is sufficient to use it. If I did feed it, do it at 1/4 rate until sufficient foliage warrants the amount.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for responding, Jeannie. I'll snap off the buds. Thanks. Last year they had no problem flowering all through the winter, but maybe we're just getting less sun this year. I'll also let 'em get bone dry before watering. I don't think I've been letting them get dry enough. I repotted the big guy with the funny specks, and the soil seemed fine to me. I bought some miracle grow potting soil for this, and now I wish I hadn't used the "moisture retaining" stuff.

So do you not think those spots are fungal? I may have to bring a leaf into our garden center for ID. No searches on the web have brought up a pic with those spots.

Thank you,

MH

• schmoe
    15 years ago

That is oedema on the bottom of your leaves. It is fairly common in Ivy Geraniums and is caused when the cells burst from too much moisture. Due to the waxy nature of the leaves, they cannot transpire quick enough and the cells burst when they get too much water or the surface of the soil stays too wet too long. It is fairly common and in small amounts, not harmful. If it continues to happen, it will come through to the top of the leaves and sometimes yellow and destroy the leaves.
    This problem, as well as the buds shriveling up, is caused by too much water. The drier that you can keep your geraniums, the better off they will be. Overwatering is not that uncommon in the winter, when the days are shorter and the temps are lower. Let them dry out and you should be fine.

• mehearty
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Schmoe. I've been wanting to take samples to the garden center, but I've got a sick kid in tow. I was hoping it was just due to over watering.

I repotted this dude with new soil. Unfortunately, I used that moisture rentention miracle grow stuff. D'oh! Do I need to repot again?

Thank you =)

Sponsored