Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I buy unusual pelargoniums for containers?

Posted by loisma z5 Taos NM (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 5, 11 at 15:35

I want to buy some interesting/unusual geraniums, i.e. pelargoniums/zonal geraniums to grow in containers in z5a, Taos, NM. I can get regular pelargoniums/zonal geraniums from local nurseries, but they are mostly the standard types for this area.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I buy unusual pelargoniums for containers?

Hobbs Farms is an online vendor of a wide range of geraniums (pelargoniums), including dwarfs, scented and fancy leafed zonal varieties. Perhaps they have what you are looking for. They label their webpage "specialty geraniums not found in garden centers" if that's any help :-)

Geraniaceae is another specialty geranium nursery that does mail order and they do have a selection of unusual pelargoniums but no zonals.

Here is a link that might be useful: specialty geraniums

o
RE: Where can I buy unusual pelargoniums for containers?

I suppose the word "unusual" is like beauty ...in the eyes of the beholder. Since there are many outstanding colors and forms of this plant you shouldn't really have to go beyond visiting your local full service garden nurseries to see all the new strains.
If you wait until mid summer to want to change from the 'old' usuals, you will, of course, be disappointed.
A trip to the nursery early....when the new stock comes in would be a good time to ask whether the nursery can satisfy your search. If you have something definite in the way of a type geranium, speak to the nurseryman who might, either show you his selections or inform you where you can purchase it.
Going online is a bit chancy.....you would be taking a person's idea of what makes an unusual plant...in his eyes instead of trying to see for yourself what is available.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here