Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maybe someone can help

Posted by bobbejaantjie (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 6, 07 at 15:35

is this a forum for geraniums or pelargoniums...although i can accept that they may be related they have such different requirements and look so diff that it's hard imagining them on the same forum.
here in south africa we have both beautiful geraniums and pelargoniums! i have about 2-3 wild species of pelargonium here on the farm(creeping ivy type and lemon scented) and collected one from the olifants rivier mountains(in the garden of the farmer, don't worry!). if there is a real expert here i would like to identify it. anyone? pls help ...many thanks dewald

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maybe someone can help

This is a forum for both Geranium and Pelargonium. In the English speaking countries the tradistion of mixing these two are just to difficult to work with that I think we just have to live with this.

The rest of us will just have to be as spesific as we can when speaking about one or the other.

I know something about both, but I need more information. Do you have pictures?

By the way, love your country! I have been there once, and saw the National Collection of Pelargoniums in Stellenborsh :) And of course, would love to come back again later.

o

ann_norway, are pelargoniums annuals or perennials? If they are annuals, should they not be on another forum? I am interested only in the perennial geraniums, but have seen many other listings here. Confusing.

o
Cranesbill and pelargoniums

Most pelargoniums are perennials. In South-Arica and countries with the same climate they live from year to year. There is one pelargonium that I know which can survive outside in climate more like North-America and Scandinavia, all others must be treated as annuals or have to live inside in the wintertime.

But I think the main reason why we find both cranesbills and pelargoniums here is that in English the word geranium mean both plants. I have tried to educate people about this for 10 years now, but since there always will be new people to these wonderful plants I have given up and acceptet the fact: When I speak about cranesbills I use the word cranesbill; when I speak about pelargoniums I use the word pelargoniums.

o

You do not say where you live in South Africa. Many of the universites in SA will have Botany Departments who could sort out your taxonomy problem(s).
A quick search on Google showed that Rhodes University has a very modern Botany Department. I would be tempted to try and contact one near you.
Good Luck
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here