Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
caroldiane_gw

It's now geranium time

caroldiane
18 years ago

Here it is the second week of February.....the sun is making its return to more intensity ....more and more each day.

This is just about the time to think bringing your geraniums back from their sleepy doldrums.....now and in the next couple of weeks.

They have been resting in the cool room where you have kept them dry and away from moisture the past few months. They are now ready to wake up and produce new leaves and new bloom for the coming season.

Before that time though, now's the time to select the pots you intend to use. The old pots might have old soil stuck to their insides, this should be cleaned out. If clay, bacteria might be within the material itself so giving it a bleach/water dunking ....overnight is good....then rinse well. Clay absorbs water...so the residue might be seen inside as well as outside. A stiff brush can be used well here.

Plastic too might have old soil residue stuck to it...it too can be cleaned easy.

When you choose your pots, do look to their drainage.

Gather what you wish to use on the bottom of the pot to keep the soil the roots are in away from the drainage holes.

This also refers to the window boxes, hanging baskets and other paraphanalia you put your plants into. Plants must drain.

The geraniums, dry as they are, are now cut back...as you wish but 4"....6" ...is usual. Their roots are teased...pulled free and old soil is gotten rid of. Old dead leaves still attached, are pulled off. Damaged or weak stems are removed.

Fresh potting soil goes in....a hole is made in the soil and the plant goes in....firmed up....taken to the best window you have...west or south is preferred but east will do. Watered well until drainage is seen and the draining water, after a full drainage allowed, is dumped...never to be allowed to sit under the plant.

Then no more water is given until new leaves develop.

When that occurs, you begin fertilizing at 1/4 rate...increasing as the foliage comes.

Fertilize about every 3rd or 4th watering.

Let the surface dry down a bit between waterings and always use water that has been sitting overnight to gain room temperature...and always water til drainage.

Comments (9)

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for the informative posting! I am just itching to get my babies out of the paper bags I have hanging in the garage. This year I was thinking of putting some other plants in the containers to mix in with the purple trailing geraniums I saved. Would that be OK and do you have any suggestions? I also have red geraniums that I saved and enjoyed all winter in my living room bay window. Could I also pot them up in new larger pots and add other complimentary plants with them? Should I cut back these geraniums when I put them in there new homes? I would add the other plants to the pots later in the season.

• caroldiane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Garden Grammie, the only problem with putting other cut-back plants with one plant, is the stage of development of one to the other. If one were to grow stronger than the other, it could pose a problem to its receiving sufficient food...since the roots of the stronger would take from the smaller, and could undoubtedly shade the smaller one.

True its always a good idea when potting up ...say a geranium, to turn the plant 1/4 turn every day, so that the plant receives as much...and equal amounts of sunlight that is still not very high at this time. But every day the sun intensity does get better.

I would suggest you begin each plant independently and when they are sufficiently in size, then put them with the others.

As far as the plants you have kept going over winter...the cutting them back will encourage them to develop new leaves and growth. But whether you proceed with this is a question whether its size permits further cutting back.
    If you feel the plant is spindly and can benefit from a further cutting back, then YES, do that, give it fresh potting soil...making sure it drains well, and give it the best sun window you can.

if it has just limped along and is not really something you hold out hope for making it until spring, then I say...yes..again, cut it back and try to invigorate it.
    Don't try to fertilize it into submission...let it prove what it can do...produce new leaves...before feeding it.
    And do that at reduced rate...usually 1/4 to 1/2...every 3rd or 4th watering. And always water until drainage is seen....then dump the excess.

It is never a good idea to re-pot UP...unless the roots and the foliage determines that it can use the extra soil--and food therefrom.

Trying to feed a plant by giving it increased soil to send out roots can often spell their demise. All that extra soil, and the minimum amount of roots, could force feed the plant above which cant possibly use it.
    This is one reason why some plants are best when root-bound.

Sometimes though, the plant is ALL ROOTS...NO SOIL to deliver food to the plant. This is cause to re-pot, giving it ONE SIZE UP only so that the extra soil doesn't have that effect of food stuffing.

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

Well, I did exactly as you noted and now will sit back and enjoy my handywork. Boy was it great to get dirt under my fingernails again!

• primitive
    18 years ago

I am glad I found this info as I just looked at some plants that the neighbor ladys were going to let freeze last fall. With thier permission I pulled 6 or 7, clipped them to 4" and hung down stairs. Looks like they might be getting little leaves. and I was tempted to pot them. I've never had any luck with geraniums before, but someone told me the roots need to breath and I think that was good advice. Thanks for the help, think I'll go pot them, as I thought it might be too early. primitive

• corgicorner
    18 years ago

Just one item:
    Never, that's NEVER feed a dry plant ! Water it first, preferable the night before, and then feed it. You can lose a lot of plants by feeding dry plants.

• garden_grammie
    18 years ago

I can't believe it but my geraniums are waking up!!!! Thanks so much for the great info.

• caroldiane
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Corgicorner, very true, very true. Feeding a dry plant often results in the food going to one place only, not the roots which are generally two-thirds the way down.

The same rule applies to application of weed killer over a lawn. It should be watered first, then the liquid weed killer is drawn down to the roots of the weeds.

• msaudie
    18 years ago

I keep my geraniums in their pots over the winter. Last year we had a very warm early spring. I put them out on the deck and watered and then fertalized heavily. They were beautiful all summer. They are the tree size plant. From reading other's comments, I certainly did not follow the rules (:

I am wondering how tolerant of the cold are the plants? Our lows are still in the low 20's, but if I keep them in the garage at night, would they be able to handle that low of a temperature? Maybe they are safer in the basement for now.

• nativechik
    18 years ago

This is great info!
    I've a got a question...how do I or even, do I at all, divide a geranium? I've got mine in a pot in my office and it's doing quite well. It just looks a little gangly. The stems are over the pot and growing out either side and are getting quite long. DO I cut them back? It has such pretty flowers it seems a shame to waste..is there a way to make cuttings so I can save them?
    Thanks.
    chik

Sponsored