Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A Question??

Posted by Fedup321 7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 17:47

Just been lurking and reading about how to and when to and ...I bought these four plants earlier in the year..maybe june or so..and they hung on the porch all season intil I brought them in for the winter..end of october..I water them when they get dry etc..They have never stopped growing and the blooms are prettier now than ever..now my question...

Do I have to cut them back like I have read, and stop them from growing and then put them out again in the spring..or can I just leave them like they are??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A Question??

• Posted by MorZ8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 05 at 21:53

They look great to me. I think you could gradually acclimate them to being outdoors again in Spring, fertilize and carry on from there. Or, you could trim them back some to remove any legginess from artificial lighting if you wished.

Mine haven't been brought in, are still outdoors on my porch and they do have some frost damaged foliage (but are still blooming). I'll be cutting those back and fertilizing in about 2 weeks... they've never had a rest, or been repotted. I'm just careful to use a water soluble fertilizer, which I mix only about half strength, a couple of times per month beginning in March.

o

I'm rather surprised they've done as well as they look.
Its hard to speculate whether they are in fact gangly...have grown spindly by the lack of sunlight, but they do seem to be in the best of health.

If they are in fact spindly, have no strength in their stems, they would be ripe for cutting back ....how you choose....but I suggest at least by one-third.

The cutting back will push the plant to produce new growth, and eventually new bloom.

I also suggest you not fertilize until new growth is in evidence. Then do so with a half-rate liquid 20/20/20 until foliage is well along.

Do see to them draining well after each watering and give them the best sun you can.

o

Diane or any one...they have not been repotted either..should I do it first and then cut them back after they recover from that shock..or cut and wait until new growth.......OR?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here