Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Black' leaved hardy geraniums?

Posted by gardenfanatic MO zone5 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 11, 07 at 1:43

I want to try one of those hardy geraniums with black foliage. Does anyone know if they're very vigorous, and which one would be the most vigorous? Does anyone know if they do better or worse than the green leaved varieties in areas with only 3 hours of AM sun? Or would they hardly flower? Thanks,

Deanna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Black' leaved hardy geraniums?

IME, they are not as robust a grower as hardy geraniums with the more standard green foliage and depending on selection, will lose some of their coloring as the season progresses. And you will definitely see a muddying or washing out of color in such a small amount of sun. Personally, I think dark leaved plants need a bright sunny location to offer both their best foliage effect as well as their best contribution to the garden composition - dark leaved plants tend to disappear in low light conditions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here