Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Different care for the ivy geraniums? Less success?

Posted by Binky z5 WI (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 05 at 10:06

I overwintered about 100 regular geraniums very successfully under lights in my basement. But I had about 5 of the really pretty ivy geraniums and they just seem to barely survive. I don't know if they need more light or less water than the other type? I know my regular geraniums need almost no water to do their best. But maybe this isn't enough for the ivys? THey turned brown and have only 4 or 5 green leaves left. Thanks for any suggestions. Eileen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Different care for the ivy geraniums? Less success?

Hi Eileen....I see that no one has answered your question yet. I grew ivy geranium from seed last year, and noticed from the get-go that it seems to be a bit fussier than the 'regular' pelargoniums that I also grew from seed. Germination was low, growth took forever. I tried to save mine over the winter in a hanging basket on my enclosed porch. (Temps range from 45F to 60F.) I cut it back and fed it, hoping it would kick out serious new growth, but have had only marginal luck. At the same time, several of the Orbit Violet pelargoniums that I grew from seed last summer are sitting in pretty much the same circumstances (in terms of light, temps) and they're growing and blooming like crazy..........In short, I'm with you, scratching my head over what ivy geranium needs to thrive....Maybe someone else can clue us both in.

o
RE: Different care for the ivy geraniums? Less success?

Hi I have an ivy geranium that is 3 years old now, every winter it comes inside, sits in a coolish not too bright, not too dim corner. I water sparingly, then about Feb. I increase the light, water and start slowly feeding. It DOES look pretty sad by Feb. Mine had only a couple of leaves and they didn't look very promising at all. Oh, and I cut it back by 3/4 when I bring it in. Sometimes I root the cuttings, sometimes not. This is the first year that I have grow lights for early spring. At first it does seem to be slow growing, but in the last week or so mine is going gangbusters. I feed them with a balanced dilute liquid plant food AND use a pinch of osmocote in each pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here