Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
homemommy_gw

Pelargoniums with yellowing leaves

homemommy
15 years ago

Hi;

I have about 40 Pelargoniums growing now. 20 from seed started around Feb 1st. 20 From cuttings started around Valentines day.

Overall, they seem to be doing ok, I with the cuttings where a little further along, but I still have 6 weeks before our frost date, and even if they are not in flower yet, I am happy that they just rooted!

But, a few (like 3 or 4) of the ones from seed are developing yellow leaves. I don't understand why. Not all the leaves are turning yellow, seemes to be one or two leaves per plant, and always the older leaves. They are planted the same, watered the same, exposed to the same light / heat humidity, but these leaves are decidedly dying on these few plants..

What could be the most likely cause of it?

Comments (7)

• jeannie7
    15 years ago

The yellowing leaves, coming from the seeded ones, probably were the first leaves formed, the green ones came afterwards.
    As long as the plants receive their share of sunlight I'm sure you will be pleased with the results.
    Just turn the plants every day or so giving equal sun to all parts.

Forty plnats, you've got your hands full. They'll make a beautiful display in pots and containers.

I found out last year of ways to highlight the selections by forming pyramids of pots, the larger at the back, the smaller at the front.

• homemommy
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply! I will take your advice on turning them and making sure they all get good lighting.

Right now I have the 40 Pelargoniums started Late Jan/ Early Feb. Another 8 started towards the end of Feb, and then about 400 seedlings of other varieties of annuals and perennials. Additoinally, I have 45 cannas, about 30 dahlias potted up, and another 25 perennials potted that where purchased bare root.

*sigh*. All of it gets carted in and out every morning and night to the greenhouse. But the Pelargoniums are the ones that have stolen my heart ;-)

• karenbrockman
    15 years ago

I am new to this forum...and this is our third year of growing geraniums and we are learning by trial and error...much error, lol. We had over 200 plants last year and ended up with gorgeous foliage and stunning flowers, but more foliage than flowers.

This year we have...and don't faint...over 700 plants! YIKES! My husband got carried away and I don't have the heart to let any of them die. So far, so good, but we didn't really do it right. We learned too late that we were to pinch off the first real growth, but didn't even know what it was that we were to pinch. Our plants are big with realy nice foliage and I am trying to turn them all every day and avoid letting them get too spindly, but I don't know if it will work. They grow towards the grow lights and some have a few really long leaf stems. Should we pinch those off?

My husband left the grow lights on for 24 hours for the first weeks, until I suggested we turn them off at night to mimic outside sun/dark conditions. Many of the plants have some HUGE leaves. I know it's too late, but what should we have done...and what do we do from here??

How do we get more flowers this year? I have lots of questions....I hope someone has time to HELP me! :-)

• homemommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

kresca, I don't know if you started your own thread or not, seems no one is very interested in mine ;-) lol.

If your grow lights are flouresents, chances are they are just fine left on 24 hours. They don't put off as much light as the sun, and the more light they get the better... Typically the 16 hour rule is for producing crops. But, you don't have to leave them on 24/7, they should do fine with a night time shut off too.

Did you pinch them off at all? If not, I would do that now, you don't need to pinch very much off, but by breaking the growth node, it is like a tree, cut the top off, and then it has to branch out, so you will get more bushy plants.

I have about 700 plants, but they are not all Pelargoniums, only around 40-50 are. So, I know what you mean about a daunting task. I am at the point where I am bringing them in and outside most days, unless it is really cold, then they have to stay inside. They are rewarding me for my efforts, but it is getting tiring, I can't wait to leave them out overnight, but with an inch of snow on the ground, winter seems stubborn this year!

I think I solved my yellow leaf problem, I was overwatering them. I have repotted them for a final time, up to 4" pots, and will make sure not to let them get too wet ;-)

• jaynine
    14 years ago

place your lights only 1 to 2 inches above your plants.

• greenhouser2
    14 years ago

It sounds like it's time some of you bought a greenhouse. I love my 2 hobby GHs and would be lost without them. I have about 30 geraniums. I haven't counted them so am not sure.

• mphil252_cox_net
    12 years ago

The leaves on my geraniums are turning a very lovely soft yellow. I have taken them to 2 different garden shops and both said they had never seen anything like it. The plants continue to bloom profusely and seem to be very healthy--no bugs, rot., etc. One person said it is a "culture break" and there is nothing to do about it.
    Any comments?

Sponsored
COLAO & PETER Luxury Outdoor Living
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
VA, MD, and DC's Award-Winning Custom Pool Builders | Best of Houzz