Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annieg13_gw

Overwintered Geraniums

annieg13
14 years ago

I overwintered some geraniums in pots in my basement and they are now growing - tall, spindly, light green. Should I cut them back before I put them under lights to get them really growing or will they fill in by themselves?

Annie

Comments (3)

• goren
    14 years ago

Annie, they're spindly and less than ideal green color because they are not receiving adequate light.
    Its at this time you remove them from the pots--with that old soil that is no good any more, at least, no good for growing young plants. Throw the old stuff into the compost or on your lawn and buy fresh potting soil.

Cut the geraniums back to about 4" ; remove all the old flowers, old leaves and cut back any damaged or weak stems. Look at the roots, see any damage, remove any that are also weak. Tweak them.
    Do this with lots of newspaper under them to catch all that mess. Then into clean pots. I recommend clay that have been pre-soaked overnight so they don't steal the water you give the new starts.
    Fresh potting soil and something in between it and the drainage holes. Make sure your potted plants drain well after each and every watering.
    Take your plants to the best sunniest window --south, west or east will do nicely. Now water to drainage, and dump the excess that fills the saucer. Never leave water in the saucer below much past 5 minutes or so.
    Now don't water again until new leaves form which will be in a week or so. Water then as the soil requires and always to drainage, dump the excess.
    Turn the plant 1/4 turn every other day to ensure all parts of the plant receive the same amount of light.
    In about 4 to 5 weeks the plant will have gotten a major amount of foliage. Keep giving it as much sunlight as the window will give; geraniums are full sun plants.
    No need for artificial light; the days are getting longer every day; that's all they need.
    Fertilize only when the plant shows adequate foliage that needs feeding and only at 1/2 rate until full measure of foliage shows up. That'd be into April/May.
    AS the plant grows you can weather them by putting them outside during the warm part of the day and back indoors at night, giving them longer periods as the days go by.
    Put them outside then when all danger of frost is past.

Soon, your geraniums will be as good as they were last summer. They will bloom when the light levels prod them to do so.

• annieg13
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks goren. I'll cut them back and transplant them this weekend.

Annie

• oilpainter
    14 years ago

I agree with everything goren says except the clay pots. I NEVER use clay pots. Soaking them before use is good advice, but they will dry out and again sap the water meant for your plant.

Clay pots look good but there are just as nice resin or plastic ones that won't sap the water meant for the plants.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert