Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dying Scented Geranium

Posted by Halifaxnsplanter none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 16:09

I have a young, small scented geranium.

After buying it I watered it after a few days, but didn't realize it was sitting in a pool of water - the pot was in another pot and I couldn't see the bottom.

So the plant/roots soaked in water for about 36 hours before I realized.

It looks very weak and dying now. Anything I can do? Its been about two weeks. I haven't watered it again - its very droopy and the leaves are drying and it looks like the bottom of the stem is browning/hardening.

Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dying Scented Geranium

Have you tipped it out of it's pot to look at the roots? I'm hoping for lots of white ones, but if all you see are brown ones, the roots may have died. if you see no roots circling round the soil's perimeter, gently comb away (with a wooden skewer or toothpick, for example) to see if there are roots in that soil.

Gently feel the stem part you say is browning. Is it firm, or squishy?

I could very well be wrong, but is this a scented leaf geranium? The plant looks like a fresh cutting to me that maybe hasn't developed a sufficient root system yet.

Keep out of direct sunlight while it is in this droopy state, and please report back on the condition of it's roots. Great that you included a photo too!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here