Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is it dead?

Posted by christinmk z5 WA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 08 at 19:36

Hello! Last fall I came on this site to see if there was any way to overwinter a scented pelargonium. I stumbled across a thread explaining how to do it- dig up plant, prune back leaves, shake off dirt, store in cool and dry dark basement. I did this. I repotted the plant last month around this time. I have kept it sufficiantly moist. I see no growth whatsoever. The "plant" is a gray/brown color. I snapped off one of its hard, brital bottom stems and the intermost section was gray. I didnt see any green. Is it dead? Do Pelargoniums put out root growth before they put out green leaf growth? Im not planning to throw it out yet, this is just for my own information, so I can stop worrying about the poor thing, lol! I alos sucsesfuly started a cutting from the plant, which is good, in case this plant doesnt make it. Thanks for any info!
CMK

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is it dead?

I woild think if the inside of the stems are grey, your geranium didn't make it. I'm sorry. =( I hope someone more experienced comes along & tells me I'm wrong. Anyway, it was really good that you took a cutting!

~MH

o
RE: Is it dead?

Thanks mehearty. Yeah, I think it is dead. Its been nearly two months since I potted it, and no new growth. Ill dump it on the compost heap in a few weeks. My cutting is doing wonderfully though, and getting quite big. I even had to repot it into a gallon sized container!
CMK

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here