Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Geraniums and Winter

Posted by JenB36 Zone 5 or 6 - Denver (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 22:50

I live in Denver, CO . I rent and my landlord asked me to take care of her flowers, but did not tell me what they were (Nor did I ask). My neighbor told me they were Hardy Geraniums. At the end of summer they got misshaped and stopped growing flowers. Right before winter, I cleared all of the dead stuff off and pruned them to about 6 inches from the ground. I have been reading about how to care for them so that they will grow better. But...I did not know that I was supposed to bring them inside during the winter? Are they going to grow back? I see small leaves popping up at the bottom of the plant

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Geraniums and Winter

There is a lot of confusion over the name 'Geranium'. There is a genus Geranium and there is a related genus Pelargonium. The confusion arises over people calling Pelargoniums Geraniums in common parlance. If yours were definitely hardy Geraniums there was no need to take them indoors. That treatment is for Pelargoniums which are not hardy. Hardy Geraniums need no care to speak of. They will reappear in the Spring as you have seen. If you get drought they might need some water. If you want to do something with them you can trim off dead flowers or even trim them right back when they get a bit ratty and they will push out fresh new leaves. But essentially they are almost zero maintenance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Examples of hardy Geraniums.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here