Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brass_tacks

?Verticillium Wilt?

brass_tacks
19 years ago

Reading in "Geraniums The Complete Encyclopedia" by Faye Brawner, I read that there is no way to get rid of Verticillium Wilt, only precaution in the form of keeping utencils clean and not using dirt that has been from a place where the fungus disease is present (like vegetable gardens where 'susceptible melons, cucumbers, and tomatoes are the three of many'.

My question is--has anyone had any kind of success with ridding a pelargonium from this disease?

One of the symptoms will be leaf wilting even when the soil is damp--sometimes only on one stem. This is not a symptom I am noticing. But another symtem I notice is a wedge-shaped yellowing followed by an entire leaf turning yellow and dieing. What makes me so suspicious is that so many of the leaves that turn yellow start out with this wedge-shaped yellowing. I noticed this last summer. The plants have been kept outside during the day and in the garage through the nite all winter (escaping frosts). I didn't think too much about the cituation, as only a leaf or two every now and then on all the plants would need to be removed. Now that I've read about the wedge-shaped yellowing symtom--I'm worried. This disease is suppose to be easily transferred to other plants by bugs, etc.

I understand that the disease affects the cellular structure of the plant--so cuttings would contain the disease.

I would like to think that the author doesn't know it all--and that someone here would know more.

Pat

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor