Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shirleyd_gw

Still no sign of my hardy geranium - Rozanne

ShirleyD
19 years ago

I'm trying to be patient but I'm about to give up on my Rozannes! Everything else in my garden is starting to come up - but no sign of my Rozannes! I spent a lot of money on them last year and hate the thought of having to replace them. They bloomed right up until the first hard frost - the last thing blooming in the garden! Is anyone else in Wisconsin (or zone 4b) having the same problem??

Comments (16)

• pellie_grower
    19 years ago

mine are only just appearing here in the UK

• GeeDavey
    19 years ago

I haven't seen any of mine either. I had to transplant them toward the end of last year and then did some diggin near them during winter. But I still expected the to at least show.

• Garden_Heaven
    19 years ago

Mine are just starting to show. All my other geraniums have been up for weeks. I am in Southern Ontario, zone 6B.

Maybe just give them a few more weeks, and you'll see them.

• pixoid
    19 years ago

Rozanne is one of the last things to appear in my zone 7/6b garden. The plant just emerged 2 weeks ago and is still tiny.

• chilidog
    19 years ago

Mine just popped up last week and today it already has 10 leaves on it. My other geraniums showed up over 2 weeks ago, so I'm guessing Rozanne is just a little slower to wake up. Bought mine on a clearance rack last fall, so this is my first year with it.

• margriet
    19 years ago

Hello Shirley,
    After a late winter in the beginning of March, with about 40 centimeters of snow and frost upto -15C (coast-area!)
    my Rozannes are growing strong. I planted them last summer.

Gr. Margriet, The Netherlands.

• ShirleyD
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement! I just checked again today and still no sign of them. I'm trying to be patient but I'm starting to get a little worried. I'll give them 2 more weeks before I start shopping for their replacements. . . .but it will have to be more Rozannes!

• newbie_WI
    19 years ago

I'm in Madison and have about four different spots with Rozanne and their timing is VERY different depending on their location---in the sunnier sites they came up ~two weeks ago and have ~ten leaves, but in the shadiest site I am only now seeing the first nub breaking through the mulch! Don't give up! (I love them too and would have shopped for replacements if they bit the dust)

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

My Rozanne hasn't shown up either. She is planted in 3/4 sun in zone 6. I sure hope she returns.

• ShirleyD
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Rozanne update - still no sign of them! I'm about ready to give up and plan on replacing them with more Rozannes! You just can't beat them for long lasting blooms!

• sheltieche
    18 years ago

It is intresting since Rozanne is almost evergreen for me- already nice heavy bushes created- I love geraniums and have many different varieties- Rozanne one of the favorites- it will be 3rd year and they really getting huge. On other hand I had some other heavy losses of geraniums but since I grown many from seeds I am not sure of hardiness of them.
    Geraniums are also can heave out from the soil so it is possibility why they do not overwinter well.

• tangerine_z6
    18 years ago

It's official. Rozanne is gone. I'll being replacing her though.

• outinthegardenallday
    18 years ago

I had my Rozanne in a pot all last Summer. I transplanted the plant into the ground last October. She threw out a few more blooms...last one in November I believe. We had a wicked winter her on Long Island and all I could do was hope for the best.

After the weather started to finallY warm up I saw a little bit of growth. Now I've got quite a bit of growth...maybe once your weather starts to warm up you'll get some growth back...one can always hope right?

Ciao,
    OITGAD

• angliagardener
    16 years ago

I plan to put in 6 Johnsons Blue Hardy Geraniums along a border. I have had no problems with the hardy geraniums but we have had mild winters for the last three years. The new border will be planted in the spring, but I am not sure when to put the geraniums in.

Also, has anyone had expererience with Lyme grass?. I have read that in some places it can be very invasive. I want to use one clump in a garden border.

• ontnative
    14 years ago

Rozanne is sold by all the garden nurseries around here, but I imagine you could buy it mail-order from Bluestone or many other sources.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting