Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new Pelargonium wilting... repot? Newbie question.

Posted by teri2k z7NM HighDesert (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 29, 07 at 10:54

I couldn't resist getting a Martha Washington 'geranium' a couple weeks ago, because they were on sale and I finally have a plant shelf to put one on. This pelargonium has beautiful pink variegated blooms with dark centers. One or two seed geraniums have done well on the plant shelf for a few months, it is in the east window with morning sun.
Now I suspect the Martha W's price was lower because it's getting late for them here... Should I have repotted it immediately? The leaves are yellowing, some dried up, and since it was in a full flush of blooms, most of those are drying up and brown. Should the dry spent blossoms be gently pulled off? Or what should I do with it? There are a few green leaves, so I have hope...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new Pelargonium wilting... repot? Newbie question.

Hello
No, there is no need to repot immediately. Gently knock the plant out of its container and check that the plant roots are healthy and not infested or dry and that the plant is not waterlogged. Pelargoniums should be watered and allowed to drain thoroughly, do not allow them to stand in water. Gently remove all faded blooms. After flowering feed the plant with 1/4 strength feed at each watering and when the roots start to appear in the holes at the bottom of the pot think about re-potting.
Ron

o

• Posted by teri2k z7NM HighDesert (My Page) on
    Thu, May 3, 07 at 10:16

Thanks! I have been a bit alarmed, as when I moved it, I watered it well, and let it stand for 30 min., then poured off all the excess water and put it back on the window shelf.... and it is still soggy! (4-5 days later!) Seems maybe the soil it came in is too heavy?

o

This could well be the cause. Some of the new multipurpose composts, especially those based on bark and coir do retain too much moisture for pellies. If you have objections to using peat based composts try using a loam based compost such as John Innes No3. You could also try standing the pot on coarse gravel or chippings to improve drainage.
Hope this helps
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here