Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fleur_gw

Anyone growing Brookside or Kathryn Adele?

Fleur
20 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion on these. How tall, what conditions, comment on bloom, etc.

Comments (10)

• pellie_grower
    19 years ago

Both are stunning plants, Fleur. Mine are in full sun.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    19 years ago

Katherine has stunning foliage - leaves are suffused with a bronzey burgundy splotch, which very handsomely offsets the blush pink flowers. A low grower and rather spreading in habit. This is a sterile hybrid so no self-seeding. Brookside is also a very fine plant - I just don't tend towards blue flowers.

• leo_prairie_view
    19 years ago

'Brookside is the best blue geranium that we can grow here and my favourite of the 18 or so hardy geraniums in our garden Last summer it bloomed from mid-June to frost in late September when it was particularly nice mingling with the grape leaf anemone. It tends to be a bit sprawling, and needs something to wander through or lean on. ÂKathryn Adele is not hardy for us.

• Marlene_DK
    19 years ago

Geranium x oxonianum 'Katherine Adele' is a beautiful Geranium. The plant has been a hit in Holland for some time now and it is starting to be in Denmark. It is quite low and has a beautiful flower and great foliage.

I grow 'Brookside' aswell and it is also beautiful but in my opinion not that special.

• Monique z6a CT
    19 years ago

What is the bloom time and sun/shade requirements for Geranium x oxonianum 'Katherine Adele'? I want to grow it in combination with some Allium Globemaster bulbs, but I'm not sure it will bloom at the same time. My Alliums bloom about the 3rd week of May until the 2nd week of June.

• jenn
    19 years ago

'Katherine Adele' is beautiful. Ours is covered with slightly pink (they look mostly white) flowers and the foliage is beautiful too. It is low, just several inches tall.

I'll know more about it after it lives through its first summer here. Our zone is quite different than yours so our experiences will vary in terms of size and amount of shade/sun, but it prefers shadier conditions instead of a lot of sun.

Jen

• abrodie
    19 years ago

I'd grow Katherine Adele for the foliage alone, but it has those lovely pink flowers - which bloomed for over 2 months!

Brodie

• Monique z6a CT
    18 years ago

I finally found KA last year and bought 4 of them. They all came back and have great foliage. No blooms yet but they should start in a few weeks.

• plantfiend
    18 years ago

I have both Katherine Adele and Brookside. Katherine has been a wonderful performer - I would have to question you, GardenGal on the self-seeding as I have now given away and moved several volunteers! But the foliage colour is wonderful, esp. with Japanese maples and the soft colour of the flowers is really lovely. She also nevers gets massive (Phoebe Noble is another story).
    Brookside is a nice blue, however, the weevils in my ground love to chomp the tops of the flower stems off just before the whole clump is due to bloom! Argh. Nematodes are making an improvement, but this is a susceptible plant, I'm told. Does make a nice show though, although not in bloom as long as many of the others.

• jenn
    18 years ago

OK, it's been almost exactly a year since I planted Kathryn Adele and watched her grow through all the seasons. Ours is planted in clay soil in a garden that faces south and gets full sun in winter, but only morning sun and then dappled shade in summer. It does get some hot sun at some parts of the day in summer but came through quite well. Our summers are long, hot, and dry. By late fall, she had a lot of long stems that I just cut back to the new basal leaves and now she is a pretty mound again with a few new blooms already opening.

In my book, this geranium is a winner. The foliage in particular is very striking, and it blooms a long time in my climate. I'm not sure exactly how long, I'll record the first and last bloom dates this year.

Jen