Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Geraniums from Seed and Hardening them

Posted by petra.gombos (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 26, 14 at 13:34

Hi, I have grown geraniums from seed for the first time this year. I planted over 200 seeds and am surprised that about 75% are still growing 7 weeks later.

The weather in Toronto has been very unfriendly this past week, hovering at about 12 max for the past week and coming week with lots of rain and wind.

I am wondering when will it be safe to take them outside to harden them?

Is anyone else growing geraniums? For anyone who is interested I have photos on my wordpress at http://petrasflowers.wordpress.com

Thanks for reading!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Geraniums from Seed and Hardening them

Geraniums are hardy but not as seedlings. I'd wait until the weather warms a bit to harden them off. Setting them out when the weather is cold will just slow down their growth.

From your website--it doesn't look like they are in separate pots. I'd take the time while you are waiting to put them in separate pots. Otherwise their roots will be so tangled you won't be able to get them apart. They are a long way from flowering. I start my geraniums in February and they are just starting to bloom when I set them out in May

o
RE: Growing Geraniums from Seed and Hardening them

Hi there, ok, thank you I will repot them but I am running out of room! I never anticipated that almost all of them would sprout from seed. I then guestimate that they will begin to bloom in June since I planted at beginning of March. Do you recall how many leaves they have before blooming sets in?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here