Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
patriotic design

Posted by mike1977 5A/6B,PA (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 7, 08 at 20:29

I would like to use red, white, and blue hardy geraniums around my flagpole. Are these colors available? Will the plants later grow together to form rows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: patriotic design

Hi Mike! While not exactly what you were asking, I just saw a great display at HD, of all places, it was very eye-catching.

They used the perennial candytuft (Iberis sempervirens) which is white and has evergreen foliage, with annual blue lobelia (Lobelia erinus) and annual red geranium (Pelargonium peltatum) in the center. I think they used the candytuft around the geraniums, so it was planted in the order of "red, white and blue". I can't swear that candytuft blooms all summer, but I've read it blooms at least through July and reblooms in fall if deadheaded, and likes good drainage. It might be worth a try.

I have used white geraniums in hanging baskets and containers, and have been disappointed by the ratty way they look when the blooms fade. I like white star flower (Pentas lanceolata) better, no deadheading and they can really take the heat.

I used annuals, I don't think hardy geraniums come in red, just white and shades of pink and purple-blue.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here