Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Can you root a pelargonium thats flowering?

I have a couple of very large porch pots that are planted with a variety of annuals. I have been bringing them in every winter for maybe 5 years or more. The teeny tiny "spike" that was planted in the center originally is now a humongous 4 foot tall, 2 feet wide monster. This takes up so much space that there really is no room to plant the annuals in there anymore. I think itÂs time to start over with these pots.

Also in each one is a great pelargonium that I really want to save. Being also 5 + years old they are very woody and large. But except for the leaves and flowers they are not very attractive with all that old stem exposed. I have never had luck rooting cuttings except in the height of summer when I have just cut them and stuffed them in the garden. I have been reading through threads here on how to do it.

But these have been flowering non-stop all winter (part of the reason why I want to keep this one going). Can you root a geranium thatÂs flowering? I had an idea that you couldnÂt and just cutting off the flowers doesnÂt work. Something about them being in the wrong phase for rooting. Is this a mistaken idea?

Comment (1)