Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Night-scented pelargonium

Posted by jenn 9/19 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 23, 11 at 21:02

I purchased a still-unnamed species of a night-scented geranium a few years ago. It is summer-dormant and begins growing new stems in fall. It is supposed to bloom in winter, but I don't recall mine ever blooming. It is in a small glazed ceramic pot in the same gritty soil from when I purchased it a few years ago.

To encourage it to bloom, I was told to pot it up to a larger (2-gal) pot in fall when it emerges from dormancy.

Does anyone here grow night-scented geraniums? I'd love to know others' experiences.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Night-scented pelargonium

Hi! I just ordered the gouty geranium off Ebay (!!) and it's VERY pretty, can't wait to put it in a pot. Full of leaves, shows no signs of going dormant. I have no experience with these. The grower is-- colonialgardens-- I think, just put it in the search.
I am somewhat disheartened to read online, that after all the purple prose I have read about their wonderful nighttime scent.. someone likened it to "pink candy peanuts" YUK. I hope not. My husband thinks it would be very funny if that were true.
I plan on using regular potting soil (which is what it looks like it's in) and just being careful about the water.
the leaves are soft, and a very ususual color of green- hard to describe.

o
RE: Night-scented pelargonium

I am very interested in Night Blooming Geranium.
I see some plants being offered on ebay right now. It seems that, as of July, they are not dormant.
Does anyone have an update on the dormancy cycle of this plant - or of special interest to me - the fragrance?
What would you compare it too?
Thank-you!
Sincerely,
Matt Di Clemente

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here