Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Toxic hardy geraniums?

Posted by schifferle 5b NE Kansas (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 15, 09 at 22:26

I emailed a friend that I was growing hardy geraniums in my yard. The only problem I was having was with them loving to chase each other through them and doing a bit of their own landscaping by doing so. My friend insists that hardy geraniums are quite toxic if they should eat them. I've searched the web and can find no mention of them being poisonous. Are they? I really doubt they'll try to eat them. They're interested in the rabbits, cats and birds that sometimes come into my yard (fortunately, for them, they're good at getting away from my dogs).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Toxic hardy geraniums?

Upon major, major searching, I finally found two references to Hardy Geraniums on poisonous plant lists. They did not mention just how toxic, toxic parts or symptoms. I wonder how dangerous they really are when hardy geraniums are rather common garden flowers yet it was difficult to find any lists mentioning them.

o

Any list of poisonous perennials that I've seen (been gardening and working in the industry for years) does not include any Geranium sp.

Here is a link that might be useful: University of Vermont list of

o

Geranium x 'Johnson's Blue' "...poisonous"
http://www.sunnygardens.com/garden_plants/geranium/geranium_1283.php

I'll be danged if I can find the 2 poisonous plants lists again that I saw with Hardy Geraniums on them. Saw many lists without them listed though. That's why I wasn't overly concerned. It just took me by surprise when my friend mentioned them as being toxic. That's why I was asking if anyone heard of this before. Thanks so much, cpg!

o

Do you grow azaleas? rhododendrons? ivy? daffodils? daphne? they are all toxic..... dogs aren't usually poisoned by garden plants but by anti freeze, onions, chocolate and tylenol. I would not worry about hardy geraniums.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here