Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Stem Withering

Posted by lucky123 none (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 21, 14 at 22:47

I have geraniums I started from seed a few years ago.
They flower continuously year round indoors and out.

When I repotted them a month ago, I cut some of the long leggy stems back to a node, like pruning a tree.

I have new leaves one node lower than the node below the cut. The stem above the leaf is shriveling up withering away. Since the new leaf is one node down from the
cut, is the plant shedding that portion of the stem?

Is that normal? Will the withering stop at the stem node where the new leaf is?

Should I take cutting from these plants?
Where the stems meet the soil there is crusty salt buildup, otherwise the plants look healthy and have new flower buds.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Stem Withering

It's normal. When it is quite clear which bits are dead you can trim them off.

o
RE: Stem Withering

Thank You Very Much

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here