Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenfanatic2003

Question about Jolly Bee

gardenfanatic2003
16 years ago

I just got a Jolly Bee, and am trying to decide where to put it. Is it like Rozanne in that the color can fade if it's in sun all day? I forget what parentage Rozanne has that makes her that way. Anybody know? I was wondering if Jolly Bee has the same parentage.

Deanna

Comments (7)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    16 years ago

Yes, it will experience some fading of the color if in full sun. 'Jolly Bee' shares the same pollen parent with 'Rozanne' and that is influencing the coloring. Other than the height of the plants (JB is taller), it is rather difficult to tell the two apart.

• susana_2006
    16 years ago

I also have a question about Jolly Bee & Rosanne. Are they really hardy in zone 5 Central Iowa? I've tried several of each and have not had them over winter here. My daughter had the same experience in her garden.

All the other hardy geraniums that I've tried have thrived for 6-7 years. So, as much as I love Rosanne, I'm reluctant to try it again.

I'd appreciate any advice.
    Thanks
    Susan

• gardenfanatic2003
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Susan,

Sometimes we can have little "mini zones" in our yards. My Rozanne is planted up next to the house on the east side. Because it's next to the foundation, and the foundation absorbs heat from the morning sun and radiates it into the soil, it's a warmer spot. So if you've got a spot next to your foundation that gets a lot of sun (south side would be ideal), that might work.

Deanna

• Kat SE Wisconsin z5
    16 years ago

I've just had my JB for a year, but it came thru this past winter fine. It's on a slight slope away from our home, it's protected from the west winds, but does get the north winds. We did have a mild weather until early Feb., but then it got good and cold. We had several nights where it got down to -12, but we did have a good amount of snow on the ground. Try using a mulch if you don't get enough snow cover, or put it in a protected area like Deanna suggested.
    Good luck!

Kat

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Did you buy your Jolly Bee hardy geranium locally or order it from somewhere? I just went on Avant gardens website and they are sold out. Probably the time of the year. I plan to send them an email and see when that plant will be back in stock.
    Does it bloom the first year or second year?

• landperson
    12 years ago

Here is an excellent source for Hardy Geraniums and if you look up any of the names you have asked about you can find out what the parentage is.

Robin Parer ships healthy beautiful plants.

Here is a link that might be useful: Geraniaceae

• landperson
    12 years ago

In case you don't go to the Geraniaceae link yourself, I just did, and according to their information Jolly Bee and Rozanne are indistinguishable from more than 5' away.

Sponsored