Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldenglishroses

Scented Geraniums

oldenglishroses
18 years ago

I know they are not true geraniums, but are scented geraniums easy to root as well? I have a Lime scented plant and I'm trying to root it in water. I'll get other scented ones if they are fairly easy.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

• melrt968
    18 years ago

The three principal members of the Geraniaceae are
    1) The hardy geraniums
    2) The half hardy pelargoniums (scented pelargoniums form part of this group)
    3) The Erodiums
    Scented pelargoniums are generally easy to root, I have had no problems with them with the exception of the variety "Mabel Grey". Basically the plants can be treated like any other pelargonium. You might find it better to root your cuttings in a mix of potting compost and vermiculite/perlite.
    Two things to rember when rooting pellies do not use rooting hormone and do not cover or tent your cuttings.

• oldenglishroses
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much. I will give it a try. I can't wait to get more.

• renarhod
    18 years ago

I snip cuttings and root them directly into potting soil and they do fine. they are SO EASY to propagate. And they grow quickly. They are wonderful plants, drought tolerant and in fact, the drier t he soil the stronger t hey smell. They need to be pruned as they will get leggy. If you don't mind losing them to the cold, you can pop some in the garden and they'll get real big. I leave mine in pots. They are wonderful to place on outdoor tables where I invite guests to rub and sniff the leaves. Quite a conversation starter. And if you take cuttings, you can pass them on to guests who are delighted.

My favs are Juicy fruit and coconut. They do not like cold and need to come in or go in the greenhouse before a frost.

Have fun! Unfortunately, few nurseries carry scented geraniums, and those they do carry are usually chocolate mint and lemon rose. But you can get other varieties from the internet and it's worth it. My greenhouse is now chock full of scented geranium, most of which I started from cuttings.

• TXDana
    18 years ago

I have had good success cutting them and putting them in soil. Keeping is moist, but not wet and they soon make roots. I have given nemerous cuttings to friends with specific directions to get them to root and all have failed. It's really not difficult.

dana

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz