Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstcuriousallday

G. macrorrhizum Color Questions & Length of Bloom

Posey Planter
18 years ago

Hi everyone!

Last year I purchased plants out-of-bloom, tagged as G. macrorrhizum IngwersenÂs Variety. They are currently in full bloom, showing two different colors: One is a pale pink, the other a medium rosy magenta. Both have combination green/pink calyces and fragrant leaves. I am generally pleased with their spreading growth, but need to make some (plant moving) decisions regarding their colors before they set seeds. I would also like to find other colors that have the same fragrant leaves and weed smothering habit.

Are there really two different colors, both known as IngwersenÂs Variety? Or is the deeper rosy magenta actually a mislabeled CzakorÂs or BevanÂs Variety?

Can someone tell me the approximate length of time the plants bloom?

I would love to find a white, as pure as possible, but still having the fragrant leaves. I have seen G. macrorrhizum Album. It is pinky, with whitish flowers and reddish calyces. Does White-Ness have fragrant leaves? Anyone have experience with White-Ness?

Thank you for your replies!

Regards,

PoseyPlanter

Comments (8)

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Update:

I was able to find a blooming Czakor's Variety to compare with the deeper of the two labled Ingwersen's Variety. The color/hue is the same, but the chroma is slightly more intense/saturated in CV than IV. The calyx color was the same.

One down. LOL.

Hope someone else finds this useful:)

• gata
    18 years ago

In my understanding, if it's a macrorrhizum it has fragrant leaves. (re: white-ness question) But, bear in mind I am no expert.
    Just love those hardy geraniums.

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gata!

Thank you for your reply:)

I love the fragrant leaves of G. macrorrhizum. It is delightful on the breeze.

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

• eden_in_me
    18 years ago

I never did know the exact variety of the 2 kinds of macros I started with, but over the years of self seeding I have about 3 different shades of pink ones, from the palest almost white to a very deep magenta.

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Marie!

What a proud grandmother you must be with all those beautiful offspring:) LOL

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

PoseyPlanter:

I stopped by a rural garden center on the way home from Crystal Gardens in Frankfort, MI and saw that Jennifer had one plant that intrigued me greatly. It was Geranium sanguineum 'Max Frei', which has very nice red leaves and have decided to add it to our garden this fall.

In my researches to know more about "Max Frei", I went to the PlantFinder section within the Missouri Botanical Garden website and started by further researches within the geranium family. From there I did a search on Geranium macrorrhizum 'Bevan's Variety' at the Garden Web Forums and saw your posting as the result.

While they don't have a white variety of this member of the Geranium family, they do have this plant, which might be of interest to you as it also has fragrant leaves, a white bloom and a nice fall leaf color.

Here is the name of the plant:

Geranium sanguineum 'Album'

And here is the link to their information about this variety. As you will note, there is a great deal of information to be had at this wonderful garden tool.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=C880

As you will note - once you 'arrive on the scene', you can obtain local (St. Louis area) or online sources for this variety.

Since you live in central Illinois, I suspect that either Hoerr's in Peoria, IL or the garden center north of Springfield, IL - can't remember the name - might have or be able to obtain a plant or two of Geranium sanguineum 'Album', if this suits your fancy.

FYI - I grew up on the tallgrass prairie of Illinois and lived in Peoria for many, many years until I obtained a Librarian's position here in northwestern Michigan. My daughter and I used to frequently visit the Missouri Botanical Garden. If you haven't been there, you're in for a real time. Suggested time of visit will be the 2nd & 3rd weeks in June and/or the during the Japanese Festival over the Labor Day weekend. The largest Japanses Garden in the continental US is located at this garden. At least take the time to spend 1.5 day minimum. There's a wonderful restaurant on site and you can also bring your sack lunch and eat inside or outside on the patio area.

If you just happen to be interested in fragrant, white flowers, you might give Phlox paniculata 'Mount Fuji' some consideration. I just planted two of them in our garden.

Here's the link to this plant at the Missouri Botanical Garden.

http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=E600

Well, this is enough (or more than enough) information for this round, but I may shortly be back if I find another white variety for you.

In the meantime, I hope you enjoy and can make use of this information and your now additional resources at the link below.

Bill

Here is a link that might be useful: Missouri Botanical Garden - PlantFinder - Search

• Mozart2
    18 years ago

PoseyPlanter:

With a little research, I did find the following "white" variety, but as you will note there is some pink in the center. At any rate, the name of the plant is:

Geranium macrorrhizum 'Album'

And you can find one source here:

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com/29867-product.html

And another source here:

http://www.forestfarm.com/search/closeup.asp?PlantID=gema666

I haven't order from White Flower Farm, but I have ordered a small number of plants from Forest Farm Nursery and have been more than pleased with their offerings and prices.

For more information on this plant, Geranium macrorrhizum 'Album' here also is a good source.

http://pss.uvm.edu/ppp/dec04per.htm

Again, I hope this information is more than useful.

Bill

• Posey Planter
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Bill!

Thank you for your reply:) I thought this post was buried for good.

Actually, I am a bit north of you in the approx center of Lake County IL, but you can call me neighbor any time!!

I am familiar with the 'Album' variety that you mention. It does have a warm pinky center with a subdued red calyx. It has more color contrast than I am looking fore. So far, 'White-Ness' sounds like what I want.

Thanks for the tip on Phlox paniculata 'Mount Fuji!' ThatÂs a great idea.

Regards,
    PoseyPlanter

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations