Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shade? on hardy geraniums help please

Posted by Karen_mcgaffney 5BOH (My Page) on
Tue, May 31, 05 at 8:04

Hi..I have woodland geranium in my pretty shady woodland area and it is blooming..would varieties like splish splash, johnsons blue, patricia etc do ok under the same conditions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shade? on hardy geraniums help please

Hmmmm. I wouldn't think so, Karen...
But you could try cultivars from the following families of geraniums :
- geranium phaeum
- geranium monacence
- geranium sylvaticum
- geranium nodosum
- geranium versicolor even...
And G. asphodeloides is pretty floriferous in the shade I have offered it, shade with a good amount of light I mean...similar recommendation for Rozanne.

o

It can be hard to find (mail order is how I got mine), but geranium orientaltibeticum does really well in shade and makes a slow growing, but still vigorous variegated groundcover of leaves with pinkish purple flowers sporadically most of the season.

Kate

o

G.macrorrhizum needs shade to thrive, as I have found after loosing the tree that shaded them before. They are not looking very happy on sunny days now.
Leo

o

I have Johnson's Blue, Rosanne and Shocking Blue all planted in a northwest location. They don't get any sun until late afternoon. All of them are doing great! Lots of flowers on all of them. They were a little late sprouting this year (I was getting a little worried) but once they came up they took off like crazy!

o

Macrorrhizums seem to grow profilicly under all conditions here, altho most of mine are in the sunnier areas. I've been trying divisions several different types I have in my new shade garden, but it is too soon to have the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here