Return to the Geranium Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. 'Prince Rupert'--how much heat can it take?

Posted by laurakm 7 Memphis (My Page) on
Tue, May 8, 07 at 9:33

Just bought Pelargonium 'Prince Rupert' in a 2-inch pot and I was hoping to repot and then keep it outside. Memphis has intense summer heat and I don't want it to fry. Do I need to keep it inside, or outside in shade? Would love to put it on my west-facing sidewalk. I just returned a Martha Washington because I did read that those just can't tolerate the heat. Anyone else have the Prince outside?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. 'Prince Rupert'--how much heat can it take?

Geraniums originate from the hot regions of south Africa and can handle really high temperatures. If kept well watered they will never wilt like most other bedding plants, but that doesn't mean they will look good all summer.
Usually 2 to 3 weeks with high temperatures during the day and night will result in yellowing of the folliage. To avoid that, when temperatures rise, give your geranium not more than 4 hours of direct sunlight and light shade during the hot afternoons.
I'm not sure how summer weather is like in there (I live in Brazil), but if summer is really hot, even doing the things I listed above, by late summer your geranium won't look as good as it does now.
If you plan on keeping your plant inside the house, make sure to place it in a very bright spot (it likes high light levels, and leaving it in a dark room will make it lose buds and new leaves).

Whatever you decide to do, just keep your plant health and when cool spring weather arrives it will look amazing again!

Sorry for my poor english!

o
RE: P. 'Prince Rupert'--how much heat can it take?

Thank you so much for the advice. It does stay 90-100 F here most of the summer, with high humidity. I will keep it outside in the bright shade until it does get that warm, then bring it inside for about a month, then put it outside again. We have a sunroom which will be perfect for it. But it is good to know that it can take a bit of heat. I appreciate your help. Your english is excellent!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Geranium Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here